Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
FCC Certification — Parallax Forums

FCC Certification

GadgetguyGadgetguy Posts: 4
edited 2004-12-03 23:51 in BASIC Stamp
Has anyone had the pleasure (lol) of having a project FCC certified?· I am contemplating building·a remote·control system using the Stamp OEM pic controller and its' associated components.· I understand that when doing building this from the ground up, it has to be re-certified.· How long would this take? Cost? Is it difficult to meet the requirements?·· nono.gif

Thanks.

Vern

(GadgetGuy)

·

Comments

• OrionOrion Posts: 236
    edited 2004-12-03 00:36
    I too am wondering what is required as far as UL and FCC testing on products. I know a lot of the developer kits I have bear neither mark unless a wall wart is included. Even then it’s only the wall wart that’s listed. Surly someone here can point us in the right direction. Just looked @ my BOE and USB scope from Parallax and neither are listed, other than the wall warts.
  • Dave PatonDave Paton Posts: 285
    edited 2004-12-03 23:51
    FCC certification isn't too bad assuming the product is designed well in the first place. The general procedure goes like this:
    Design product so it doesn't radiate RF gak.
    Build prototype and test for RF gak (a spectrum analyzer is very helpful here). Spurious emissionss are the enemy.
    Refine prototype until it's considered "gold".
    Equip golden prototype with 1m long cables (unterminated) at all points where cables will attach to the system.
    Take golden prototype to FCC testing lab (independent testing labs that are recognized by the FCC)
    Go eat lunch.
    Celebrate victory or take the data back and fix the radiation issues and repeat.

UL testing is a competely different animal, since it tests for 120V (and fire, etc) safety instead of just RF radiation. Generally UL certs are only required if you have a device that plugs into the wall. Using a preapproved wall wart or line lump power supply frees you from UL requirements (since the part that connects to the wall already has the approval mark), which is why you see so many of them. I've never done UL for that exact reason devil.gif

-dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.

Post Edited (Dave Paton) : 12/5/2004 2:47:32 PM GMT