Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
multiple mosfets on basic stamp — Parallax Forums

multiple mosfets on basic stamp

PLJackPLJack Posts: 398
edited 2004-11-30 18:23 in BASIC Stamp
www.al-williams.com/fetrly.htm

With the circuit listed above on each BS2 pin, can the stamp turn on 8 to 10 of these MOSFETs at the same time?
If so, how fast is the switching?

Thanks.
Jack

Comments

• Dave PatonDave Paton Posts: 285
    edited 2004-11-27 16:21
    How many? Until you run out of usable output pins. How fast? That depends entirely on how tight your code is, and how fast the FET is. If it has a lot of gate capacitance, it'll take a little while to charge, but I think it'll be faster than the Stamp is able to cycle the outputs unless you're using FETs with Cg measured in nF wink.gif

-dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
  • PLJackPLJack Posts: 398
    edited 2004-11-28 16:19
    Dave Paton said...
    How many? Until you run out of usable output pins. How fast? That depends entirely on how tight your code is, and how fast the FET is.
    -dave

Thanks for the reply Dave.

The Fets will be connected to 12v solenoids.
    They need to fire within a few hundred milliseconds.
    Sounds like it will work fine.

I was going to use relays, but I like the FET idea much better.

Jack
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2004-11-29 21:52
    Yes, and you can turn on 8 all at the same time with the OUTH or OUTL command, if you've wired them to P0..P7 (OUTL), or P8..P15 (OUTH).

In any event, a few hundred milliseconds is a reasonable amount of time for a BS2. It cycles around 100 uSec per instruction. You could do 8 separate outs in around a millisecond.
  • PLJackPLJack Posts: 398
    edited 2004-11-30 18:23
    allanlane5 said...
    Yes, and you can turn on 8 all at the same time with the OUTH or OUTL command

I had assumed that. Thanks for the confirmation.
    allanlane5 said...
    In any event, a few hundred milliseconds is a reasonable amount of time for a BS2. It cycles around 100 uSec per instruction. You could do 8 separate outs in around a millisecond.

And thanks for the 8 outs/pm info. The platform will be moving, I'll be using that information. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Jack