Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help need with project — Parallax Forums

Help need with project

dragoncubdragoncub Posts: 4
edited 2004-11-30 23:30 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all, I'm starting a project and I need to know which stamp/kit I should use. Let me first tell you guys I don't know much about basic stamps but have been doing some reading. Now, information on the project. I will be installing a 7" touch screen in my car and behind the screen will be the cd player. In order for me to access the cd player I will have to make the screen fold froward to expose the cd player.
Also there will be a cover over the screen which will have similar functions. It will fill up all the way and then slide back to expose the screen. This would happen when the car is started and it will close when the car is turned off. Also the screen need to return to the original position when the car is turned off.
See attachments for diagrams.

What I need to know now is what stamp or kit do you guys thing I will need. I will probably be using a servo or stepper motor to move the screen and the cover. Which motor to you suggest will be better for this application. The screen needs to be held in place for a long time and it should not move even when pressed on. There is little room behind the dash of my car so space is a little bit of an issue. I would like to have some capability to add on the stamp for future use as well.
So if you guys could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it. I have searched the web but have not been able to find something specific for my needs. Let me know if you guys have any questions.
Thanks in advance for all you help.
400 x 400 - 32K
400 x 400 - 29K
400 x 400 - 28K
400 x 400 - 24K
400 x 400 - 24K

Comments

• K de JongK de Jong Posts: 154
    edited 2004-11-27 01:13
    Hi Dragoncub,

My advice would be to buy a BS2 and a board and start experimenting. Find out if servo's are suitable for you, they are easier to connect to the stamp than steppers but they only have a limited rotation angle.

The BS2 will do this job and many more experiments you will want to do in the future. And you can step up with ease to a BS2sx or a BS2p if you want.

First thing to do is to get get the 'feelings' for this microcontroler. Only after that you will be able to make the right design decisions for your project.

Regards,

Klaus
  • dragoncubdragoncub Posts: 4
    edited 2004-11-27 22:13
    Thanks for the advice K de Jong.

Couple more questions. Which will be able to hold a set position longer a servo or a stepper? And which one will be able to take more applied force and keep that position?
    Also with the BS2 will I be able to hook up the ignition line for my car to it, this way when the cars starts it sends a signal to the stamp and the stepper motor is activated.
    Will I be able to run one motor and wait a certain time and then start the second motor?
    Thanks for you help guys.
  • tmatma Posts: 27
    edited 2004-11-27 22:38
    Hi Dragoncub
    I suggest that you use small permanent magnet motors with limit switches.
    You could use a small solenoid to latch the door closed.
    Use manual switches to test it.
    You will probably have to experiment with gear ratios and motor sizes to make it all work.
    How much force will be needed to move the doors? Pehaps the motor and eject mechanism from and old VCR would give you some ideas
    When you can make it do each mechanical operation you could then program the stamp to control relays that replace the switches.
    edited 2004-11-28 01:58
    Another question, can I have the basic stamp connect to a computer as well as having it programmed at the same time? I would like to make the screen flip down and at the same time I would like to sent a singal from the stamp to a computer to make the cd eject. Is this possible?
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-11-29 13:44
    Yes, that is possible -- just use one of the regular IO pins for the signal that indicates the CD eject.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
    edited 2004-11-30 23:30
    Thanks for you helps guys. Do you guys have any pointer before I start or even any comments about the project.