Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
SumoBot PCB- Can i use a 9v batery on it? — Parallax Forums

SumoBot PCB- Can i use a 9v batery on it?

SurajSuraj Posts: 10
edited 2004-11-21 03:12 in BASIC Stamp
Hi again everyone,
I asked this question once, but just wanted to make it clear.
I am planning to build a mini sumo from scratch, and have decided to use the SumoBot PCB as it is one of the only boards within the 10 cm by 10 cm dimensions. http://www.parallax.com/images/prod_jpg/555-27400.jpg

It says 6 V dc on the board, but when i asked if I could use a 9 V battery for the Board, I think Larry told me it was fine. Just wanted to confirm that, as I just noticed the 6 V dc on the board. You can check it out if you want on the picture link above.

Thanks a ton!
Also, thanks for the help u gave me before!
God Bless!
-Suraj

Comments

• edited 2004-11-20 05:25
    NO --> Parallax Continuous Rotation servos·<-- NO

9 V will burn up the filter cap inside the Parallax Continuous Rotation servo, and usually take out some of the electronics inside the servo as well.

Other servos, maybe.· It depends on the servo's rated input voltage.

If you want to use Parallax Continuous Rotation Servos, get a Battery Holder with Tinned Leads with the Sumo Board.· That will prevent damage to your servos because it takes 4 AA batteries (6 V).
  • SurajSuraj Posts: 10
    edited 2004-11-20 06:05
    I am not using the parallax servos, but different motors . i am using the solarbotics GM11 with a motor driver. The motors are powered seperately.

My main doubt is if I can use the 9V battery to power the board and its sensors only, because it's higher that the normal Voltage.

Thanks
    -Suraj
  • edited 2004-11-20 06:28
    Ah, ok. Sorry I misunderstood. Yeah, a 9 V battery will be fine to power the board + sensors.
  • SurajSuraj Posts: 10
    edited 2004-11-21 03:12
    Thanks
    God Bless
    -Suraj