Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
servo question — Parallax Forums

servo question

Ben DamonBen Damon Posts: 42
edited 2004-11-21 16:34 in Robotics
Just a quick question.· Is it damaging to the servos to run them faster that norm? ( about 60-63rpm )
yah i'm still learning the basics.· (but i'm entitled to be ignorant until i'm 18roll.gif )

Thanks in advance,
Ben

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Ben Damon

And may God Bless America!
·

Comments

• MatthewMatthew Posts: 200
    edited 2004-11-19 23:52
    Are you going to make the servo run faster by increasing the volts supplied to the servo?
  • edited 2004-11-20 00:01
    It depends on how you do it. The Boe-Bot with a brand new set of four 1.5 V alkaline batteries will run the Boe-Bot (Parallax Continuous Rotation) servos close to 60 RPM.

DO NOT try to use a higher voltage battery to make the servos go faster.· I have smoked Parallax Continuous Rotation servos with 9 V batteries.· Not good...

You can safely reduce the PAUSE time between pulses to increase the servo speed. For example, full-speed forward is usually:

DO
    PULSOUT 13, 850
    PULSOUT 12, 650
    PUASE 20
    LOOP

You can change the PAUSE 20 command to PAUSE 1, and it should speed the servos up by a few RPM. The relative speed control is still accomplished with the PULSOUT commands.

Post Edited (Andy Lindsay) : 11/20/2004 12:06:31 AM GMT
  • Ben DamonBen Damon Posts: 42
    edited 2004-11-20 01:07
    yes the volts where incresed.· But only to 6.75v.· I'm experimenting with rechargables (five 1.35v batterys to gether)· I Cannot imagine that small a increase doing damage but just wanted to make shure.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ben Damon

·
  • edited 2004-11-20 05:06
    That'll probably be OK.· If your Boe-Bot·has a board of Education Rev C, you can protect your servos by setting the power jumper between the servo ports to Vdd (instead of Vin).· Your servos will go a tad slower, but they'll probably last longer.· See page 52 of Robotics with the Boe-Bot v2.2, available from the Parallax -->·Downloads --> Stamps in Class Tutorials page.
  • Ben DamonBen Damon Posts: 42
    edited 2004-11-20 15:39
    Thanks for the help, it helped.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ben Damon

·
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2004-11-21 16:34
    Ben,

How about trying a high-speed servo, modified for continuous rotation?

Ken