Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
microphone (or pressure sensor) to BS2sx — Parallax Forums

microphone (or pressure sensor) to BS2sx

ElieElie Posts: 6
edited 2004-12-05 15:15 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I'm trying to hook up some sort of pressure sensor to a stamp that will detect when I tap it with my hand, and that can send a different signal depending on how hard I hit it (I'm trying to make a drum pad).

I thought of using a microphone but I can't get the basic stamp to see anything. Does anybody know how to hook up a microphone to a BS2sx to get any numerical results?

Also, if the mics aren't a good idea, does anybody know what I can use as a pressure sensor that would be cheap and have (almost) no delay, and how I would connect this thing to a stamp?

Thanks for the help,

-Elie

Comments

• Dave PatonDave Paton Posts: 285
    edited 2004-11-19 03:58
    Most inexpensive electronic drum pads use piezo discs for sensors, among other things. You can buy drum triggers at your local Guitar Center. You might also want to take a look at the ThumbDrum from Paia, at:
    http://www.paia.com/midibrn.htm#thumdrum
    and also published in an old issue of Radio Electronics, back when it was a solo publication. Paia also has a note on the sensors they use:
    http://www.paia.com/drumsens.htm

Doing realtime force sensing is a little tricky, because you'll need to constantly monitor the voltage from the pads, probably with a multichannel ADC (analog to digital converter). I bet with a tight sampling loop you could make it work pretty well. You'll need to SHIFTIN() the apropriate data from the ADC and look for a maximum value, and then process that value into whatever you want it to do.

-dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
  • KenLemKenLem Posts: 94
    edited 2004-11-19 16:53
    Good links there, Dave! I didn't even know Paia was still around. I remember building one of their kits over 20 years ago.

Ken
    www.speechchips.com
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2004-11-19 17:19
    Piezo PVDF film is good for this purpose. Look at app notes at this URL:

www.msiusa.com/piezo/

Digikey carries some of the pickup films. A good strong tap can be picked up by the Stamp with no additional electronics other than the film itself.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • radrayradray Posts: 2
    edited 2004-12-05 11:47
    The BEST sensor to use for a drum trigger is what the manufacture uses and that is a· piezo transducer part #273-073 And· its only $1.99. Once you removed it from its plastic housing its the exact same trigger element that edrum manufacturing companies use. I know because I sell· Electronic drums and have designed and built my own drum pads and triggers. What I dont know is how the piezo element triggers my sound module, IE voltage, current,resistance. I dont know what it sends to it. I do know that hitting a piezo hard will light a LED for a fraction of a sec. http://www.allinonedj.com/trigger/index.htm·I put up a webpage to help you with your trigger, I hope you can help me find out what it is sending to the sound module as a signal. If you can email or post it here.
    RadRay
    320 x 240 - 52K
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2004-12-05 15:15
    FYI that's a Radio Shack part number for the Piezo transducer in the message above.