Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need Help --- Making a Mini Sumo from scratch — Parallax Forums

Need Help --- Making a Mini Sumo from scratch

SurajSuraj Posts: 10
edited 2004-11-17 03:24 in BASIC Stamp
HI Guys,
········ I greatly appreciate the help i got on my last question... Sorry to be back again, but now I'll explain my whole problem.
I am in Grade 12 currently, at Woburn in Toronto....
I have already built a mini sumo from a solarbotics kit, and modified it with a bs2...
One of my goals this year is to build a mini sumo from scratch....

I most probably will use simple ir for opponent detection.
I am planning to use the GM11 motors from solarbotics. I have not decided on what to use for line sensing.
I am planing to use a·9 V battery for the power.

But my main problem is to figure out which board to use to code it withn a BS2... I have· some experience with the Stamps in Class board, but it is too big.
I looked into the SumoBot Board with surface-mounted BS2, but I am still very lost in this issue...

I would love it if i could get some help on this problem too.
Thanks a ton!
-Suraj

Comments

• SurajSuraj Posts: 10
    edited 2004-11-16 05:56
    Oh yeah forgot to mension:
    the dimensions for a mini sumo is 10 by 10 cm, and I need the board to be atleast less than 9 cm squared to set the whole thing together.
    Also about the SumoBot Board, I was also wondering if it could be used with a 9V battery.

God Bless
    -Suraj
  • LarryLarry Posts: 212
    edited 2004-11-16 06:10
    Suraj,

The sumobot board will fit into the 10x10 cm space with room to spare, so it may be your best bet. the prototyping area will make sensot hookups a snap.

The 9v battery will supply power to the board and sensors nicely, but it doesn't have enough "poop" (electrical term) to power the motors as well. the board will brownout and shut down when the motors turn on hard. A popular solution is to use a separate power supply for the motors. Use the 9v battery for the board, then use 4 or 5 AA batteries to run the motors.

The Stamp can't be used to drive the motors directly, so be sure to include an h-bridge or a motor driver chip like the 754410 chip to power the motors. a read built motor driver board ( I think the Parallax site will have a couple) is probably an easier solution.

Good luck with your project.
    Larry

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2004-11-16 06:23
    If all you want to do is object detection, The sensor to get is the GP2D15 or its' long range version , the GP2Y0D02YK

The are just on-off, which makes them a snap to read with a Stamp.

Larry

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2004-11-16 14:07
    Thanks a lot! Could u expand a bit on the motor driver chip or the h-bridge a bit? cause i am slightly a noob to all this coolness...
    Thanks
    -Suraj
    edited 2004-11-16 14:28
    I did some quiick research, and figured I'll use the Sharp GP2Y0D340K Distance Measuring Sensor to detect opponents.
    I also found a chip called SN754410NE 1A Quadruple Half H-Bridge . Is This a good enough chip for the GM11 motors from solarbotics? and if so, could you please give me a few hints on how to use it as I have never used them before.
    Thanks a lot!
    God Bless!
    -Suraj
    edited 2004-11-17 02:35
    here's a place to start.

http://stage.itp.tsoa.nyu.edu/~tigoe/pcomp/examples/hbridge.shtml

if that doesn't do it, just Google "754410 robot" and you'll have enough for an evening.

Larry

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2004-11-17 03:24
    Thanks
    God Bless
    -Suraj