Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LED dot matrix + basic stamp - beginner needs help — Parallax Forums

LED dot matrix + basic stamp - beginner needs help

ilovembvilovembv Posts: 2
edited 2004-11-16 18:17 in BASIC Stamp
hey,

I'm working on a school project where I'd like to use a LED dot matrix and a basic stamp 2x. I've never used a LED matrix, so I was wondering: the dot matrix has got 40 leds and needs 2.6volts to run. What piece of hardware should I use to connect those LEDs to my basic stamp (considering there are only 16 pins, and 6 of them are already set as inputs)? Any recommended readings/tutorials?

Thanks for your help!
Frankie

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2004-11-15 23:59
    Frankie -

Take a look at the Maxim MAX7219 which should do what you need. Here is a link to that product: http://www.maxim-ic.com/quick_view2.cfm?pdf_num=1339 . Maxim is pretty good with their sample policy, so ask for a sample, instead of purchaing one.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • CPUMANCPUMAN Posts: 55
    edited 2004-11-16 02:08
    Another optition is to use 74HC595 shift registers.· For example I have a 8x8 bi-color LED dot matrix display so the wiring is technicaly 8x16.· What I did is daisy chain a pair of this 8 bit **** registers together then had the stamp strobe the other 8 rows and the shift registers driving the 16 coloumns.· Though in my case the MAX7219 didn't have enough I/O for what I needed, but in your case it can easily do 40 LEDs.··Using the MAX IC as Bruce suggested is·the easier route but this route is an opition if you want to do the multiplexing work yourself.

Anyway thats just my $0.02.

Chris
  • ilovembvilovembv Posts: 2
    edited 2004-11-16 18:17
    Thanks to both of you for your help, I'll try it out!
    Frankie