Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
16 channel ADC for musical instrument — Parallax Forums

16 channel ADC for musical instrument

Huge DemuxHuge Demux Posts: 5
edited 2004-11-14 19:10 in BASIC Stamp
Hi!
I'm new to the forum, but have benn using BS2s for some years now,
I have worked with single channel adc before and it worked flawlessly, but now I want to have at least 12 analog inputs without using RCTIME (to make a musical instrument), so I bought the ADC0817 which is a 16-channel ADC multiplexer, and I'm having difficulties getting the values in (I get 255 or 0, no middle values)
·has anyone worked any external multiple channel ADC before?

If I can't get it to work, I'll try a 4067 (16 channel mux/demux) with a single channel ADC. Would that work?

Any tip or suggestion is appreciated!!
Thanks

Huge Demux

Comments

• Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2004-11-12 23:14
    Demux -

Here is an Analog Devices 12 channel multiplexed ADC (link below) which may be better suited to your needs. It has a serial interface rather than the parallel interface on the ADC0817. The ADC0817 is more suited to a microcomputer with an existing parallel bus, rather than a microcontroller which usually uses serial protocals for control and data transfer. No sense making your life any more difficult or complicated than it needs to be. Besides, pin ports are a valuable resource on a microcontroller. It does appear you may need to use some additional control lines as well, beyond the serial interface however.

Here is the link:
    http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,2877,AD7265,00.html

There are dozens of others there as well. This was just the first one I saw that met at least the minimum criteria you mentioned.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • Huge DemuxHuge Demux Posts: 5
    edited 2004-11-14 19:10
    Thank for the tips,
    I didn't even know that my ADC0817 was parallel. So I understand that BS2's prefer serial communication. When I check your link and try to find the best adc for my project, I see that there are a lot of communication protocols available (listed under Output Data Format): Ser (i guess it is Serial), Byte, I2C, I2S, Ser 2-wire, Nibble, Par, SPI and LVDS. Does anyone know of a link that compares them all? Is the BS2 only serial compatible without external components?

Demux