Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How is NAP/SLEEP working? — Parallax Forums

How is NAP/SLEEP working?

ChristianGChristianG Posts: 29
edited 2004-11-16 14:44 in BASIC Stamp
I 'am trying to measure the power consumption using the BASIC stamp 2, comparing to the Javelin stamp.
The spec says that it should consume 8mA in normal mode, and 1microA in nap mode.
·
I found out that using the Super Carrier Board and the Basic stamp 2, it draws:
- 35 mA in normal mode
- 25 mA in nap mode.
There is no difference between NAP or SLEEP, or the program running out (END).
Therefore my conclusion is that the BASIC stamp 2 draws about 10mA in normal use (without any circuits).
But I’m not sure about the consumption in NAP/SLEEP mode. The specification says 1 microAmp. Does it means that the CarrierBoard is consuming about 25mAmp?
·
Doing the same test with tha Javelin stamp and the Super carrier Board:
Spec says: 60mA normal use, and 13mA in nap mode.
-········ 105 mAmp in normal mode (program running, but no circuit)
-········ 65 mAmp in nap mode

I was surprised that the reduction to nap mode is about 40mAmp (it only drops 10mA using the Basic 2 stamp). I’m altso surprised about the fact that it still draws 65mAmp in nap mode. If the Carrier board draws 25mA, and Javelin draws 13ma (as the specification says), then the result should be about 38mA, an not 65mA.

Regards

Christian

·

Comments

• Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2004-11-12 16:31
    I have some data & commentary of my own posted at this URL:
    www.emesystems.com/BS2power.htm

I don't know the contribution of the carrier board, but it has a voltage regulator and LED that are on all time.

The current drain of the Stamp II in sleep mode is about 50 microamps. To measure that, you probably need to put it in a separate socket where you can measure it's drain separate from the carrier board. Also, be sure that the i/o pins are configured so that they do not draw current-. That means no floating inputs, so unattached pins should be configured as outputs. And outputs should not be driving any loads.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • ChristianGChristianG Posts: 29
    edited 2004-11-16 14:44
    Thank you Tracy, that is usefull!

Regards,

Christian