Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
"Smart" navigation with BoeBot possible ? — Parallax Forums

"Smart" navigation with BoeBot possible ?

AbyssAbyss Posts: 8
edited 2004-11-07 23:47 in BASIC Stamp
I don't even know if my idea is possible with the BoeBot,that's why i submit it to you.I've done the remote control program and it works with an IR eye on PIN5.I have also made a small board with the 2 IR Led's and eyes for navigation.Both programs work when they are loaded independently.But would it be possible to have the robot controlled by remote to go forward for example and execute a turn or back up when it "sees" an obstacle like it does when it only navigates with the other 2 IR eyes ?
I am a newbie at programming the stamp,and i don't know if i'm not asking something that it might not even be doable.
Thank You.

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-11-06 01:52
    Sure it can be done; it just requires a bit of programming (the Boe-Bot would have to make take your commands, then make decisions on whether to use or not based on obstacle detection). Your idea is a good one -- so good that NASA is currently using it with the Mars rovers. Ground controllers send route commands to the rovers, but the rovers can override those commands based on what's actually in front of them on Mars. See, a bit more time with your Boe-Bot and you'll be headed for JPL!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • edited 2004-11-06 04:02
    There is a very similar Project and Solution in IR Remote for the Boe-Bot, available for free download from

http://www.parallax.com/detail.asp?product_id=70016

The project overrides the remote instruction if the Boe-Bot detects you are trying to run it into something.

The circuit is on pages 99-100. The program is a modified version of the example program on page 67. Get that working first, then enter the modifications discussed in the solution to Project 1 on pages 154-155. You'll then be well on your way.

Have fun!

Post Edited (Andy Lindsay) : 11/6/2004 4:26:47 AM GMT
  • AbyssAbyss Posts: 8
    edited 2004-11-07 23:06
    Thank You guys.Jon,i am too old for JPL[noparse]:)[/noparse].But you saw my idea right.This is exactly what i was thinking.My next step will be to make the little critter solar powered.I am using a battery from a Nikon camera which gives me enough voltage.I will make a solar array with little panels and a voltage regulator [noparse]:)[/noparse].I'll have to see if the servos will be able to carry the extra weight.But i like exploration robots,not speed.
    Andy,thank You for your information.I got the book.It looks like i'm gonna have to do some "light" reading [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2004-11-07 23:22
    Abyss -

If you would like to do some reading on solar power robotics project, use Google or you favorite search engine for "solarbotics" and you should get some real good hits. Also look for "beam robots" for low power robotics.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
  • AbyssAbyss Posts: 8
    edited 2004-11-07 23:47
    Hello Bruce,I know about Solarbotics and BEAM robots.Built quite a few of them already.All i want to do for the Boe Bot is to have an array of panels just to recharge the Nikon battery while the robot is wondering.I've got the panels already,i just need to think how and how many to put togheter,and make little PCB maybe for the voltage regulator.I hope that the servos can take the extra weight.Actually,the way the BoeBot's body is build,the biggest challenge is where to put the solar array.[noparse]:)[/noparse].Or maybe i can redo the whole body.Thank You for your input.

Eugene.