Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless communication (not line of site) — Parallax Forums

Wireless communication (not line of site)

BadDogBadDog Posts: 13
edited 2005-04-07 08:03 in BASIC Stamp
I am new to the basic stamp.· I am trying to build an application in which two basic stamp components will communicate with each other over a range of approximately 1/4 to 1/2 mile.· A greater range would be nice too.· The various transceivers on the parallax site seem to be for much shorter ranges.· I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can implement this.· I was thinking of a TCP/IP bridge, but I don't have line of site and haven't had very good success for this great of range using TCP/IP devices.· I am wondering if there is a radio type solution.· Does it sound feasible that I could utilize something like the cermetek modem and rig it up to a motoral type walkie talkie and have the data sent over the radio waves.···Would the transmission protocol be able to tell if all information that was sent was received (ie that of the modem) so it could "confirm" receipt on the other end?· Is anyone aware of any other product available that I could use to accomplish this which will interface with my·basic stamp project, or any other ideas?· Thanks in advance.··

Comments

• kb2hapkb2hap Posts: 218
    edited 2004-10-26 01:36
    check out this site it should be able to help you out:

http://www.abacom-tech.com/home.htm

I purchased a product from them that works great! (9600bps data transeiver)

It is rated for 3 miles with the standard antenna or up to 20 miles with a directional antenna.

My project is far from line of site and it works great.

~DAN

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ
  • BadDogBadDog Posts: 13
    edited 2004-10-26 04:37
    Thanks Dan. What kind of range are you getting? What are you using for an antenna? Just out of curiousity, what is your project all about? Thanks.
  • BadDogBadDog Posts: 13
    edited 2004-10-26 04:58
    Dan, I have scoured the abacom site and can't seem to find any transceiver having a range anywhere close to 3-20 miles. Can you give me the model number or some other information?
  • eirigoyeneirigoyen Posts: 1
    edited 2005-04-07 08:03
    Hello,

I am trying to use the maxstream 900Mhz excite model to get a BS2 to communication with a laptop connected to another wireless modem (same model). Do I only need to connect tx-to-rx, rx-to-tx and grounds together? or is there something I'm missing? Has anybody done this before? Do I need to disconnect the modem from the BS2 to reprogram it? ...(I think so).. Any help is appreciated

enrique