Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stamp + Accessories — Parallax Forums

Stamp + Accessories

m_fabio2m_fabio2 Posts: 49
edited 2004-11-03 17:07 in BASIC Stamp
Let me explain what I"m doing before I ask my question.

I have a BS2, and I"m using it as a small interface for my truck. I used a small ultrasonic distance sensor so I can sense distance to objects in the rear, and interfaced with a LCD screen on my dash. I am added a infrared commication system (Emmitter and Diode) to allow the "Truck" - Stamp to talk to the computer without a wire, the idea being one day I could download the information from each trip and compute gas milage and "hope" I can pedict maintance from this data. Since this worked so well, I want to add other accesories, I have in mind a set of temperature sensors for outdoor temp, engine intake air temp, humidity etc...
What I"m wondering is, can a RTD be used with the Stamp ? My knowlegde of the systems say 'yes', but I want to make sure before I do. I know I can use a honeywell 4-20ma Temp/Humidity sensor to do this, but from my experiance these kinds of sensors are best suited for enviroments without heavy airflow. (I know I could be using a model for heavy airflow, but don't have any available).

Does anyone have any experiance with RTD's and a Stamp, or am I going to fall back upon my AD590 ?

Thanks.

If anyone has any advice, suggestions, or ideas feel free to throw some in.

·

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2004-10-26 17:05
    What's an "RTD"?
  • nick bernardnick bernard Posts: 329
    edited 2004-10-26 21:08
    hail allan
    rtds are resistive thermal device, thermocouplers supply voltages or current. rtd's act like a variable resistor.

hail m_fabio2
    you could use a rctime command to read rtd's but a thermocouple would requre an adc.
  • m_fabio2m_fabio2 Posts: 49
    edited 2004-10-27 00:53
    Hey· Nick,
    Good idea, I hadn't thought using the RCtime command, but that should work.

Thanks.
    Mike.
  • m_fabio2m_fabio2 Posts: 49
    edited 2004-11-03 17:07
    Update- I tried using the RCTIME command with a RTD, but could not come up with a working circuit. My thought is the RTD does not change resistance enough to make this practical.

Question..
    Has anyone ever used a display such as this ?

http://www.simmetry.com/

I saw on the net, looked pretty cool and easy to work with. Would add alot of functionality to my projects, just wondering if anyone had some luck with it. Thx.