Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RS232 Circuit — Parallax Forums

RS232 Circuit

alnajjaralnajjar Posts: 12
edited 2004-10-22 15:14 in BASIC Stamp
I had a BS2 interfaced to a digital scale (Pelouze 4040) through RS232 and it worked flawlessly for the past 2 years.· But it stoped all of a sudden.· The pin on the BS2 is fine - I tested it with another RS232 device.· When I hooked the scale to a brand new BS2 al I got was meaningless data.· I have the RX line (I don't actually use the TX line) from the scale goes directly to the pin and of course a common ground between the scale and the BS2.· Should I have some resistor there to protect the pin or the scale itself?· I bought a new scale and want to make sure I have a safe connection.

Many thanks,

Al Najjar

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2004-10-22 15:14
    It couldn't hurt to put a 220 ohm resistor in the RX line -- but you *really* shouldn't have to. It sounds like the TX line from the scale to your BS2 has broken on the scale's side. This could have happened due to static electricity -- but again, you *really* shouldn't have a problem with this, as RS-232 is pretty robust where static electricity is concerned.

It is possible the scale RS-232 communication just broke -- or perhaps the baud rate has changed? That could give the results you call out.