Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Servo control on BSIIsx? — Parallax Forums

Servo control on BSIIsx?

Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
edited 2004-10-27 02:03 in BASIC Stamp
Quick question on the BSIIsx:

I am trying to position servos and I'm using the information and sample code shown in the Basic Stamp Manual (v1.9 pg 86):

SERVO:

PULSOUT 0,150
PAUSE 20
GOTO SERVO

UNfortunately, this does not place the servo at "center' but rather "bangs" the servo against the stop. I have tried this with different servos and they react the same. Do I need to use different values for the BSIsx (like I do for the serial baud rate)?

Thanx

Vern

Post Edited (Vern) : 10/20/2004 9:50:47 PM GMT

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-10-20 21:55
    If you check the manual (or help file) you'll see that the BS2sx uses a different timing period for PULSOUT. The easiest thing to do is use conditional compilation as demonstrated in the Help file demo. To answer your question directly, the BS2sx uses 0.8 microsecond timing for PULSOUT, hence a 1500 ms centering command would require a PULSOUT value of 1875 on the BS2sx.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • Vern GranerVern Graner Posts: 337
    edited 2004-10-21 00:06
    So using the ".8" value you provided and the formula "1.5us=1500/.8=1875" I came up with these values:

1us = 1000/.8 = 1250 "bottom" or "0-degrees"
    2us = 2000/.8 = 2500 "top" or "180 degrees"

I then wrote this snippet of code to test the formula by seeking the servo through it's entire range:

' {$STAMP BS2sx}

cntI VAR Word

servo:

FOR cntI=1250 TO 2500
      PULSOUT 0, cntI
      PAUSE 10
    NEXT

FOR cntI=2500 TO 1250
      PULSOUT 0, cntI
      PAUSE 10
    NEXT

GOTO servo

Unfortunately, it only seeks the servo through about 60 degrees. Also, it is rather slow moving. I tried speeding it up by using "step 2" or "step 5" on the FOR statement, that seemed to work.. Don't know if thats the right approach.

Thats not the main problem though. I still don't understand why it is only seeking through such a small range when it would appear I am setting values that should generate a continuous sweep 180 degrees from 1us to 2us..?

Also, if I were to include multiple servos in this code, for example:

FOR cntI=1250 TO 2500
      PULSOUT 0, cntI
      PULSOUT 1, cntI
      PULSOUT 2, cntI
      PULSOUT 3, cntI
      PAUSE 10
    NEXT

Would I have to recalculate the .8 value or change the pause value? I'm also a little unclear on the "pause" time and how I should determine it's value...? Arg. I wish I could just budget for a Serial Servo Controller, but I have to make this on a shoestring budget and If I can get sucessful control of the servos directly, it would cut the project cost in half...

Vern
    edited 2004-10-21 04:52
    If you want the servo to move quickly, let it move from one position to another on its own -- by specifying all the positions in between you are actually slowing it down.· Try this:

DO
      FOR idx = 1 TO 50
        PULSOUT 0, 1250
        PAUSE 20
      NEXT
      FOR idx = 1 TO 50
        PULSOUT 0, 1875
        PAUSE 20
      NEXT

FOR idx = 1 TO 50
        PULSOUT 0, 2500
        PAUSE 20
      NEXT

LOOP

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Dallas Office
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2004-10-21 13:37
    Yes, you had two errors.
    1. You *must* leave at least 20 mSec between pulses to the Servo. It can't react faster than that.

2. You *should* repeat a pulse to the servo, and give it some time to move.
    I'm guessing that since you did all this in a fast loop, that the servo never had time to move all the way to one side, before your code started commanding it to move to the other side.

Jon's solution has two pieces to it -- he repeats each command, and he uses the 20 mSec pause between commands.

By repeating each position command 50 times, with a 20 mSec pause between each PULSOUT, he gives the servo time to move. (A good lab would be to command the servo all the way one way, time its movement, then command it all the other way, and time its movement. This will tell you the fastest rate you can get out of the servo, and how many times you should repeat the command)
    edited 2004-10-21 17:13
    Thanks for the responses! smile.gif

However, the speed of seek is not the *primary* problem, in fact, if anything I need the seek to be slower or adjustable as the end result is servos controlling a "puppet" so the fast movements do not appear "natural". What I am looking to make is a series of "positions" that the servos could seek to that I can step through over and over.

Where I am confused is in the timing of the pause statements and the reason my BSIIsx seems to not be able to seek the servo through the entire 180 degree range. Allan theorized that the PULSEOUT command was not being given enough time to seek the servo to it's end position. So, using Jon's example of "seek to zero, then 1/2 way then full rotate: above, I found the servo still only seeks through about a 60 degree arc. In fact, to get the full 180 degree arc, I had to use this code:

' {$STAMP BS2sx}

idx VAR Word

DO
      FOR idx = 1 TO 100
        PULSOUT 0, 320
        PAUSE 20
      NEXT
      FOR idx = 1 TO 100
        PULSOUT 0, 1550
        PAUSE 20
      NEXT
      FOR idx = 1 TO 100
        PULSOUT 0, 2750
        PAUSE 20
      NEXT
    LOOP

Using the above I get a full 180 degrees, in three distinct steps. I tried this with two different servos, a Futaba S3004 and Futaba FP-S148, they both required these values to do a full 180 degree seek. Is my BSIIsx "broken" in it's timing?

Also, is there a way to position and hold more than one servo, like this:

FOR idx = 1 TO 100
        PULSOUT 0, 2750
        PULSOUT 1, 2750
        PULSOUT 2, 2750
        PULSOUT 3, 2750
        PAUSE 20
      NEXT

Should the "PAUSE" value be altered based on the number of PULSOUT commands? And if this won't work, what should I use for values or is there a "better" way to code this? TIA! smile.gif

Vern

Post Edited (Vern) : 10/21/2004 5:15:50 PM GMT
    edited 2004-10-21 17:29
    No, your BS2sx is not broken in its timing.

You can leave the PAUSE value at 20 -- any value from 15 to 35 is going to be okay; 20 is the standard.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Dallas Office
  • Armored CarsArmored Cars Posts: 172
    edited 2004-10-21 18:03
    Allan said you must pause 20 ms between each pulsout, but wont it still work if in an infinite loop like this (assuming the BRANCH always goes to F)

GOF:
    INDEX = (DIRA & %0011)
    BRANCH, INDEX [noparse][[/noparse]F,F,GOSB,GOPT,ect]
    F:
    PULSOUT 15, 1500
    GOTO GOF
    edited 2004-10-21 18:13
    Vern:
    Yes, your last example will work fine. This is why people use Servo's with the BS2sx. The Servo refresh rate is loose enough that anything from 20 mSec to 50 mSec will work -- so you can 'refresh' 4 or 8 servos, then do a single 'Pause 20' before refreshing them again. The servo's will seem to move at the same time (*maybe* theres a few 100 uSecs delay between the actual movements).

I havn't used the BS2sx myself yet. Once you've found the right numbers, however, I think repeatability between different BS2sx should be excellent. It's easy to move servo's slower by stepping to positions close together -- it may still need a few repeats of each command to give the mechanical components time to move.
    edited 2004-10-22 21:28
    Ok, I'm back with a couple of days of experimenting under my belt and I have some code to share... It *seems* to work, but I'd love to hear comments on how to improve it. smile.gif For one thing, the servos seek in a sort of "jerky" manner... ah well, at least I have something to push the servos for tomorrows show!

' {$STAMP BS2sx}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

'------------------------------------------------------
    ' Random movement generator
    ' By Vern Graner 10-22-2004
    ' R-1.15a

'Declare Variables
    SERVO  VAR Nib      'Store the servo number
    SPEED  VAR Byte     'Seek speed for the servos
    RESULT VAR Word     'Store the random number result
    CUR    VAR Word (4) 'Array to hold the current servo position
    DEST   VAR Word (4) 'Array to hold the destination servo position

'Set the seek speed
    SPEED=15

' Use RCTIME POT position to generate a random seed
    HIGH 7
    PAUSE 1
    RCTIME 7, 1, RESULT

'Main Loop that "seeks" servos to destination
    DO

SERVO=SERVO+1                            'cycle through the servos
    IF SERVO=4 THEN
      SERVO = 0
    ENDIF

IF CUR(SERVO)=DEST(SERVO) THEN           'If the servo has reached
      GOSUB FetchNewDest                     'its destination then fetch
    ENDIF                                    'a new random destination

IF CUR(SERVO)<DEST(SERVO) THEN           'If the current servo position is LESS
      CUR(SERVO)=CUR(SERVO)+SPEED            'then incremment by "SPEED"
      IF CUR(SERVO)>DEST(SERVO) THEN         'Check to be sure the SPEED increment
          CUR(SERVO)=DEST(SERVO)             'does NOT "overshoot" the destination
      ENDIF                                  'value

ENDIF

IF CUR(SERVO)>DEST(SERVO) THEN           'Same as above, but decrement
      CUR(SERVO)=CUR(SERVO)-SPEED
      IF CUR(SERVO)<DEST(SERVO) THEN
        CUR(SERVO)=DEST(SERVO)
      ENDIF
    ENDIF

'Uncomment to observe the values
    'If you don't have servos
    '-------------------------------------------------
    'DEBUG CLS
    'DEBUG "Dests: 0=", DEC DEST(0)," 1=", DEC DEST(1)," 2=", DEC DEST(2)," 3=",DEC DEST(3),CR
    'DEBUG "Curs : 0=", DEC CUR(0)," 1=", DEC CUR(1)," 2=", DEC CUR(2)," 3=",DEC CUR(3),CR

PULSOUT SERVO,CUR(SERVO)         'send a pulse to the servo
    PAUSE 10                         'wait for pulse to be "digested" by servo

LOOP

FetchNewDest:
      RANDOM RESULT                  'Fetch "random" value and place in "RESULT"
      RESULT=RESULT // 2700          'Limit the result to 0-2700
      RESULT=RESULT MIN 220          'Enforce the servo lower limit
      RESULT=RESULT MAX 2700         'Enforce the servo upper limit
      DEST(SERVO)=RESULT             'place the "clean" new value as new destination
      RETURN

Again, any input would be appreciated... smile.gif
    edited 2004-10-25 13:59
    Ok, I tried using this code over the weekend, and it's "ok" but it sure is "jerky" looking as it drives the servos... any comment on how to do this better would be appreciated... FWIW, I'm using the code to drive various motions of a puppet for a Halloween haunted house:

http://www.spiderspreyground.com/howto/dk-toepincher/

The servos control head pan/tilt, eye motion (left/right) and the position of one arm (the other one is static). I sure would love to get a "smoother" motion from this. I have a number of other people that are intersted in replicating this design so getting it down to a stamp, some code and a handful of servos is the optimal goal... Any help/comment would be greatly appreciated. smile.gif

Vern

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Vern Graner CNE/CNA/SSE    | "If the network is down, then you're
    Senior Systems Engineer    | obviously incompetent so why are we
    Texas Information Services | paying you? Of course,if the network
    http://www.txis.com        | is up, then we obviously don't need
    Austin Office 512 328-8947 | you, so why are we paying you?" ©VLG

Post Edited (Vern) : 9/21/2006 4:13:41 PM GMT
    edited 2004-10-25 14:53
    I'd still use a 'PAUSE 20' instead of the 'PAUSE 10' you are using -- unless you've timed the execution with a logic analyzer or something. The 20 mSec refresh is a *lower limit*. 20 mSec to 50 mSec is acceptable, 10.5 or 12 mSec is too short.

Your servo comparator may be missing some of your pulses, which might lead to jerky action. Never done this myself, so I'm blue-sky theorizing for that.

OH! I just saw an optimization. You are pausing after EVERY servo update 10 mSec. You only need to have ONE 20 mSec pause after updating ALL FOUR servo's.

IF Servo=4 THEN ' Existing
    Servo = 0 ' Existing
    PAUSE 20 ' New
    ENDIF

and remove the 'PAUSE 10' lower in the code. This way, every time you have updated all 4 servo's, your code will wait 20 mSec for your servo's to move, before updating them to the new positions.
    edited 2004-10-26 15:07
    Allan:

Thanks for the code optimization! That did really help (four pulses, one pause). I guess I still need to get a "feel" for how much time it takes to execute the code. I had imagined the execution of the code would take some time and that I would have to shorten the pause in response to those delays... Guess the BSIIsx is faster than I thought! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

The good news is that I can sucessfully control four servos, running through a series of "Random" movements in a pretty smooth manner to make a mostly realistic looking puppet! smile.gif I ended up adding some code to accelerate and decelerate the motion and also placed some motion limits so the servos would not move beyond certain ranges (i.e. only move the arm between minimum and maxmimum point). I have provided the finished code here for those who might be trying to do the same:

' {$STAMP BS2sx}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

' Servo Random Movement Generator
    ' By Vern Graner 10-26-2004
    ' Any questions to vern@graner.com
    ' R-10.25b
    ' -Added code to alter the stepping "speed" using an
    '  array with a seperate "step" rate for each servo
    ' -Added code to accel/decel servo seek speed
    ' -Added code to place motion limits on each servo
    ' -Added "controlled" start/stop
    ' Hardware setup:
    ' Servos connected to pins 0-3
    ' RC time POT ON PIN 7 (used BSAC values)

'Declare Variables
    SERVO     VAR Nib      'Store the servo number
    I         VAR Nib      'Standard "for" counter
    RESULT    VAR Word     'Store the random number result
    RAMP      VAR Bit  (4) 'Store speed ramp direction
    SPEED     VAR Byte (4) 'Seek speed for the servos
    CUR       VAR Word (4) 'Array to hold the current servo position
    DEST      VAR Word (4) 'Array to hold the destination servo position

'initialize the seek speed for each servo
    FOR I = 0 TO 3
      SPEED(0)=1
    NEXT I

'Set the "start position" for each servo
    GOSUB LIMITS            'Position servos within their "safe" area
    FOR I = 0 TO 3          '(usually center). by "fetching" the value
      CUR(I) = DEST(I)      ' from the "limits" subroutine and pre-stuffing
    NEXT                    ' them in to the "CURrent" value for each servo

' Use RCTIME POT position to generate a random seed
    HIGH 7
    PAUSE 1
    RCTIME 7, 1, RESULT

'Main Loop that "seeks" servos to destination
    DO

SERVO=SERVO+1                            'cycle through the four servos
    IF SERVO=4 THEN
      PAUSE 20                               'AFTER sending four pulses to the four servos
      SERVO = 0                              'wait for 20us to allow the pulse to
    ENDIF                                    'be "digested" by servo

IF RAMP(SERVO) = 1 THEN                  'Based on "ramp" direction, either increase
      SPEED(SERVO)=SPEED(SERVO)+1            'or decrease the servo seek speed by 1
    ELSE
      SPEED(SERVO)=SPEED(SERVO)-1
    ENDIF

SPEED(SERVO)=SPEED(SERVO) MAX 50         'Enforce a maximum and minimum seek speed
    SPEED(SERVO)=SPEED(SERVO) MIN 10

IF CUR(SERVO)=DEST(SERVO) THEN           'If the servo has reached
      GOSUB FetchNewDest                     'its destination then fetch
    ENDIF                                    'a new destination

IF CUR(SERVO)<DEST(SERVO) THEN           'If the current servo position is LESS
      CUR(SERVO)=CUR(SERVO)+SPEED(SERVO)     'then incremment by "SPEED"
      IF CUR(SERVO)>DEST(SERVO) THEN         'Check to be sure the SPEED increment
          CUR(SERVO)=DEST(SERVO)             'does NOT "overshoot" the destination
      ENDIF                                  'value
    ENDIF

IF CUR(SERVO)>DEST(SERVO) THEN           'Same as above, but decrement
      CUR(SERVO)=CUR(SERVO)-SPEED(SERVO)
      IF CUR(SERVO)<DEST(SERVO) THEN
        CUR(SERVO)=DEST(SERVO)
      ENDIF
    ENDIF

'Uncomment to observe the values
    'If you don't have servos
    '-------------------------------------------------
    'DEBUG CLS
    'DEBUG "Ramp : 0=", DEC RAMP(0)," 1=", DEC RAMP(1)," 2=", DEC RAMP(2)," 3=",DEC RAMP(3),CR
    'DEBUG "Speed: 0=", DEC SPEED(0)," 1=", DEC SPEED(1)," 2=", DEC SPEED(2)," 3=",DEC SPEED(3),CR
    'DEBUG "Dests: 0=", DEC DEST(0)," 1=", DEC DEST(1)," 2=", DEC DEST(2)," 3=",DEC DEST(3),CR
    'DEBUG "Curs : 0=", DEC CUR(0)," 1=", DEC CUR(1)," 2=", DEC CUR(2)," 3=",DEC CUR(3),CR

PULSOUT SERVO,CUR(SERVO)         'send a pulse to the servo
    LOOP

'SUBROUTINE: Generate new destination value
    '--------------------------------------------------
    'Note: rather than using "RANDOM" you could create
    'an array of predefined servo positions and step through
    'them to create a repeatable series of motions

FetchNewDest:
    HIGH 7                         'Use RC time to gather a new "Seed" for RANDOM
    PAUSE 1                        'move the POT around on occasion to change
    RCTIME 7, 1, RESULT            'the up the show. Due to "jitter" the RC time value
                                   'can introduce it's own "variances" to the seed
                                   'value resulting in more "randomness"

IF RESULT = 0 THEN RETURN      'Controlled stop/start. Added this so I could
                                   'move the POT to "zero" and the motions all finish
                                   'their last seek to destination and then halt. makes
                                   'for a more "natural" halt than the sudden "freeze"
                                   'of all axis of motion. Move POT away from zero and
                                   'the motion restarts. If you don't have a POT for
                                   'RC time, this could be replaced with a button command.

RANDOM RESULT                  'Fetch "random" value and place in "RESULT"
    RESULT=RESULT // 2700          'Limit the result to 0-2700
    DEST(SERVO)=RESULT             'place the "clean" new value as new destination
    GOSUB LIMITS

IF RAMP(SERVO) = 0 THEN        ' Change the speed ramp direction
      RAMP(SERVO) = 1              ' 0 causes the speed to increase
    ELSE                           ' 1 causes speed to decrease
      RAMP(SERVO)=0
    ENDIF
    RETURN

'SUBROUTINE: Enforce the servo limits
    '--------------------------------------------------
    Limits:
    DEST(0)=DEST(0) MAX 2700       'Servo 0 MAX  (eye pan)
    DEST(0)=DEST(0) MIN 320        'Servo 0 MIN

DEST(1)=DEST(1) MAX 520        'Servo 1 MAX  (head tilt)
    DEST(1)=DEST(1) MIN 320        'Servo 1 MIN

DEST(2)=DEST(2) MAX 1000       'Servo 2 MAX  (head pan)
    DEST(2)=DEST(2) MIN 700        'Servo 2 MIN

DEST(3)=DEST(3) MAX 2700       'Servo 3 MAX  (arm reach)
    DEST(3)=DEST(3) MIN 320        'Servo 3 MIN

RETURN

Thanks again for everyone's help, and if anyone has any other comments, or questions, please let me know! This has been a very enlightening experience and shows me the stamp is capable of operating multiple servos w/o having to resort to a PWM pal or Serial Servo Controller! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Vern

Post Edited (Vern) : 10/26/2004 3:11:08 PM GMT
    edited 2004-10-26 17:43
    Thanks Vern for the working example.

I really like how you've made use of the arrays, and the subroutines to produce relatively simple code that does quite complicated things. Very nicely structured code *and* data.
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2004-10-26 18:36
    Random thoughts to think about.

Going through your code I would suggest this based on my game programming and refresh rates of video output.
    When programming for smooth output of 3D or 2D video, one packs as much processing of the numbers between the vertical scan
    as the screen gets painted from the top left corner all the way to the bottom right corner it has to move the gun back to the top right corner.
    During that time your program crunches numbers and puts the new screen update in a seperate buffer of memory.

Your code can do the same thing. First calculate the amount of time your crunching of numbers takes to do all 4 servo calculations
    if its under 20 ms then subtract that number from 20 to get your pause time.

Send all 4 servos the new positions at one time
    crunch the next set of numbers
    repeat

I dont know because I just started working with pbasic, if there is a timer function you can use to get an exact execution time for each time the code runs thru so you can calculate the pause time for each set of servo commands sent but if you do all 4 calculations every time it should be pretty close.

If your code takes longer than 20 ms you could do 2 servos at a time but remember the code will take different times to execute.

I am thinking the jerky part is the physics of the model you are moving as the force of each servo enguages one after the other creating a worse condition depending on the actual direction of the movement. for example one arm moves forward servo1 and them servo 2 moves the other arm backwards, the momentum of the first arm going forward effects the balance of the model and when the second servo enguages your model may already have some energy propelling it backwards if the forward movement of the first arm caused the model to spring or lean foreward like a pendulum.
    edited 2004-10-26 20:39
    Metron:

Thanks for the feedback. That is exactly what I was looking for. To be honest, this code "grew" ( kinda like "mold"! lol.gif ) as I hammered it into submission! I should probably re-code it now that I have it running. In response to your suggestion, I actually had theorized about the execution time of the "number crunch" portion of the code.. In fact, in my first pass I placed the pause command with 10us taking a "guess" that the code might take somewhere around 10us to complete....I really don't know of a way to evaluate the amount of time it takes. Someone mentioned a logic analyser to discover execution time, but I don't have one so.. confused.gif

Anywya, I appreciate the feedback as I do hope tooptimize the code at some point so that I can use it to "interpret" strings of coordinates that are "recorded". Ideal case would be a joystick type input that I could run through and record motions into an array, then run the array back... This would make it simple to animate a servo-controlled prop.. That'll have to wait since I'm out of resources for the moment... my haunted house is this friday so I'm out of time, and the code I wrote eats about all the RAM in the BSIIsx (those "WORD" sized arrays to hold the servo positions eat the space!) Maybe I can figure out how to use less ram later.

smile.gif

Vern
  • Bruce BatesBruce Bates Posts: 3,045
    edited 2004-10-26 20:56
    Vern and others -

You may find the following link helpful in determining the exectution time of various Stamp instructions:
    http://www.emesystems.com/BS2speed.htm

Thanks go to Dr. Tracy Allen, for all his hard work in determining these instruction speeds for the BS-2, and BS-2sx platforms.

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2004-10-26 21:05
    Just some quick notes:

A "Pause 20" pauses for 20 mSec (milli-seconds) not 20 uSec (micro-seconds). 20 mSec is a *much* longer time in BS2 land.

A BS2sx does one 'primitive' PBasic instruction in around 60 uSec ("HIGH 1"). so it can do about 18 instructions per milli-second, or 357 instructions in 20 mSec. The time for instructions like "PAUSE xx", SEROUT, etc. are driven more by the data than the time to actually execute the instruction.

Servo's need a 20 mSec to 50 mSec delay before repeating the pulse, so the "Pause 20" is correct.
  • metron9metron9 Posts: 1,100
    edited 2004-10-27 01:07
    A simple way to average the time it takes to calculate all 4 servos would be to put a loop around the code and execute it 1000 or perhaps 10,000 times
    Then average the time (using a stopwatch to measure the time it takes to execute the loop) idea.gif
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2004-10-27 02:03
    It should be noted that when you send a pulse to the servo it only moves the servo a very small amount towards where it is directed.
    As each pulse is received (every 20milliseconds or so) the servo will move a little closer to it's position.

So the number of pulses required to actually reach the position depends on where it started.
    So you can see how confused the servo gets if you are sending different pulse widths all the time.

You should send the pulse width for some time to reach the desired position.

Bean.