Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Circuits Question — Parallax Forums

Circuits Question

PatrickPatrick Posts: 7
edited 2004-10-25 22:11 in General Discussion
http://www.velleman.be/Downloads/0/Manual_MK104.pdf

I am an ME with a simple EE question.·In the attached schematic, what is the purpose of the resistor in parallel with the buzzer in the upper right corner?· If I wanted an LED to come on when the buzzer was on, I would do the circuit analysis such as (Vsource - Vled) / (rated LED current)· to come up with the correct series resistor right?· With an LED, would I still put that resistor in·parallel with the buzzer?
·
Thanks
Pat

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,545
    edited 2004-10-19 14:58
    In this application the buzzer is a "piezo"... since the transistor driving the piezo is configured as open collector, you need something to discharge the piezo.
    Thus the resistor in parallel with the piezo accomplishes this. It might help to think of a piezo as a capacitor, they both have similar characteristics.

As for the led, the formula you have is·correct, but if you still want to use the buzzer, I would leave the resistor in parallel.

- Beau Schwabe

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe - Mask Designer III

National Semiconductor Corporation
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe) : 10/19/2004 3:00:25 PM GMT
  • PatrickPatrick Posts: 7
    edited 2004-10-19 15:23
    Thanks for the response.· Does the resistor discharge the piezo by, when the transistor is not allowing current through, the resistor/piezo creates its own little circuit discharging the piezo as it would a cap??· Why is this even necessary?· What would happen if you removed the parallel resistor?
    edited 2004-10-19 16:21
    Yes, the resistor discharges the piezo when the transistor is off. When you apply power to a piezo it deflects the crystal shape, and holds that shape as long as there is a charge. If
    you removed the resistor you would hear an initial "click", and then perhaps a very weak "buzz" (due to internal resistive leakage)... by applying a resistor, the piezo discharges much
    faster relaxing the shape of the crystal so that the next pulse causes it to deflect again. More deflection = more pressure or volume

See...

Parallax Forums > Public Forums > Stamps In Class > Amplifying piezo speaker

...for some other details.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071
  • PatrickPatrick Posts: 7
    edited 2004-10-24 17:56
    When I put the LED in series with the buzzer, I read 5 volts across the buzzer and .8 across the LED.· This is not enough to illuminate the LED of course.· How can I force the right amount of voltage across it?

·
    edited 2004-10-25 22:11
    Don't put the LED in series with the buzzer...Connect the cathode (short terminal) of the LED to the collector of T1. Connect the Anode (long terminal) of the LED to
    one terminal of a series resistor (Resistor Value determined below) and connect the other resistor termianl to D1's cathode.

A K
    --->|---

The resistor value should be....

Rled = ( Vsource - Vled ) / Iled

Where:

Vsource =7.8V (remember you have three diode drops; one across T1 another across D1, and a third across your LED)
    A typical transistor diode drop is about .6 Volts, so 9V - 1.2V = 7.8V

Vled =1.7V (typical - you can measure this with a digital volt meter on the diode setting)
    Iled =10mA (typical)

Rled = ( 7.8V - 1.7V ) / .010A = 610 Ohms or closest standard value

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071