Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
IRBuddy and RC-5 — Parallax Forums

IRBuddy and RC-5

aekloaeklo Posts: 20
edited 2004-10-19 17:13 in BASIC Stamp
I'm using the IRBuddy for receiving and transmitting RC-5 codes.
Now, I have a couple of remotes that I know is RC-5 standard (XBoX remote), which I can't get the IRBuddy to read.
I am using the sample program at Parallax's site for reading IR-codes, and it works OK for my other remotes...
Any ideas on this?

Thanks in advance!

Aeklo.

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2004-10-18 18:38
    It's funny that you "know" the XBox remote is using the RC-5 protocol. How do you know?

Note there are a few Phillips standards, only one of which is in fact RC-5.

I've found the IRBuddy to be VERY reliable at reading the RC-5 protocol. If it works on your other remotes using RC-5, then the most likely conclusion is that either your XBox remote is broken, or that it is NOT in fact using the RC-5 protocol.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-10-18 18:49
    A 'scope and IR demodulator would tell....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • aekloaeklo Posts: 20
    edited 2004-10-18 22:13
    Yes, it now appears that the XBox uses "Command 809" remote codes (24bit), whereas the RC-5 uses "Command 805" codes (12bit).

Now, would I be able to use the IR-Buddy for reception/transmittal of the standard needed for the XBox, or is it strictly limited to the RC-5 standard?

This URL describes the 809 format vaguely: www.lintronic.dk/Command_809,%20X-Box.htm

Aeklo.
    edited 2004-10-18 22:17
    RC-5 is a license-free protocol -- and the IRBUDDY will not be updated.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Dallas Office
    edited 2004-10-19 12:38
    Neat link to the LinTronic site. They have very nice pictures of several protocols. Apparently, they make protocol converter boxes that take in one protocol and emits another. You could use one of their boxes to convert the XBox controller protocol into RC-5.

Note I believe the "Command" numbers they use to identify the protocols are LinTronic command numbers, so if you are talking of general IR protocols it's better to use "RC-5" or "XBox" than the LinTronic numbers.

Parallax is thinking of discontinuing the IRBuddy, in fact, as it has not sold well recently. Actually putting more money into it to read another protocol is not likely to happen -- unless there is a ground-swell of demand from people who want to connect an XBox IR-controller to the BS2. Since the BS2 is not really 'real-time', I don't see this happening, but it could.

Also, it's probably much easier to go to Radio Shack and buy a $5.00 remote which DOES speak 'RC-5'.
    edited 2004-10-19 12:55
    Thanks for your replies!

What I actually want to do, is to controll the XBoX from the Basic Stamp. All I need is to switch it on/off by sending "stop-enter" or "stop-stop-stop-stop-enter". The power on/off to the XBoX is done by an adittional IR-receiver that I bought, since the unit itself does not support power on by remote. It is supposed to be compatible with the XBoX remote, and thus also does not read RC-5.

Any suggestions in how to do this in a cost effective way?

Aeklo.
    edited 2004-10-19 13:27
    You could program an SX micro (not BS2sx) to be a protocol converter for you -- that's what the IRBUDDY is (it uses a PIC micro).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Dallas Office
    edited 2004-10-19 13:33
    In theory, the BS2 could do it with an IR LED and a current-limiting resistor, and some programming.

The programming, though, needs to know the pulse-width that is a '1', and the pulse-width that is a '0' for the XBox IR protocol. If the pulse-width is not an even number of milliseconds, then you may need a 555-timer circuit to generate the 38 KHz frequency, then use 'PULSOUT' to trigger the pulses from the BS2.

A logic analyzer and an IR Detector are your best tools for finding this stuff -- unless there's a more full explanation of the XBox IR protocol.
    edited 2004-10-19 17:13
    I'll see what I can dig up about the XBoX IR protocol.
    A lot of users out there you know smile.gif

Will get back with some info on what I find. Thanks so far!

Aeklo.