Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Impact Switch / Hammer Switch — Parallax Forums

Impact Switch / Hammer Switch

mb02155mb02155 Posts: 2
edited 2004-10-15 23:27 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I am working on a project that involves collecting some analog data with a BS2p.· The data collection needs to start when a hammer hits the concrete slab.· So,· what I need help with is finding a reliable and reasonably priced impact switch or hammer switch. I have seen a couple out there, but the $175+ price tag is way too expensive.·

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2004-10-15 18:00
    Would the switch be on the hammer or on the concrete ?

Terry
  • mb02155mb02155 Posts: 2
    edited 2004-10-15 18:03
    I would attach the switch to the hammer - not on the face that makes contact with the concrete, but on the hammer handle.· The impact of the hammer hitting the concrete would cause the switch to close and therefore trigger the data collection.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2004-10-15 18:18
    How about a G-force switch. A metal strip with a weight that will hit another metal strip when the hammer hits the concrete (because of the momentum of the weight).

· ***··· <-weight
    | <|····· <- contact point
    |· ·|
    |·· |
    |· ·|
    ===

Make sure it's stiff enough that the switch doesn't touch when the person swings it back.

Terry
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,658
    edited 2004-10-15 23:27
    A piece of PVDF polymer (piezoelectric) film might work well for that, no moving parts. (Digikey part # MSP1006). The output of the film is a voltage pulse that can drive the stamp input directly, if the vibration is strong enough.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com