Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is concurrent use of serial port on BS2 for programming & app possible? Limitat — Parallax Forums

Is concurrent use of serial port on BS2 for programming & app possible? Limitat

Stephen99Stephen99 Posts: 2
edited 2004-10-15 18:47 in BASIC Stamp
I have not worked with my Stamp for a year or so but have a new potential app.

My application would use all 16 I/O's plus I would need the serial port to submit simple (<16 characters) commands and receive simple (several characters) status replies.· Could/would my application use the same screen (debug screen?) that the serial port is normally connected to?

What limitations occur when using this same port for programming, debug functions, and application communication?

I just discovered your forum here (very nice!).· I have read some of the past posts on this subject.
If you could point me to sample code or documentation that would be great!

Thanks,

Stephen

·

Comments

• K de JongK de Jong Posts: 154
    edited 2004-10-14 23:16
    "What limitations occur when using this same port for programming, debug functions, and application communication?"

Hi Stephen,

If you put two applications, the programmer/debugger and a PC program, on one port you will have to switch when you use one or the other. It is doable but you will have to close your programmer/debugger each time you want to use your application and vv.

You just run two applications on one port. Things would be easyer if you could free two pins on the Stamp for a second communication link. Maybe only on a temporary basis.

Klaus
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-10-15 00:10
    It's not a problem to use the programming port as a serial port -- since you're only doing one thing at a time, there is no conflict.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • Stephen99Stephen99 Posts: 2
    edited 2004-10-15 17:54
    Thanks guys for your replies. Klaus, that is a good idea to temporarily utilize two Stamp pins for a separate serial port during development.
    What is the easiest way to add the needed hardware for a 2nd rs232 port (I've seen a Maxim tranceiver chip mentioned).

-Stephen
  • K de JongK de Jong Posts: 154
    edited 2004-10-15 18:47
    Hi Stephen,

In fact there are at least two easy ways to connect a PC to Stamp pins:

1 Use a MAX232 adapterboard, Al Williams sells them: www.al-williams.com

2 Go for USB. The USB2SER works fine for me and Parallax sells them. And...., you won't need an extra Com port smile.gif.

Succes,

Klaus