Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
CANnet — Parallax Forums

CANnet

Gerry ShandGerry Shand Posts: 45
edited 2004-10-15 14:37 in BASIC Stamp
Hi There Everyone:

I have a friend who wants to interface a basic stamp to an existing system that uses the CANnet protocol (I am meeting with him next week to get the full details). Supposedly this is a serial data interface that is peer to peer and used quite extensively in the automotive industry (among others).

Based on that, are there any interface chips out there with some application notes? Also does anyone know the CANnet protocol?

Just when you thought you knew all the ways to talk to a system...

Thanks in advance for your input. As mentioned before by others, this group seems to have the answers (even for stuff that is way deep in left field).

Gerry Shand

Comments

• kb2hapkb2hap Posts: 218
    edited 2004-10-14 22:59
    I dont know much about the automotive version of can but I use something that is very similar if not pretty much the same in industial control applications called DEVICENET you can find more about devicenet at

www.odva.org

or I know Microchip make CAN tranceivers take a look at there site for more info

www.microchip.com

If you have any other more specific questions I will try to help as much as I CAN, ha ha

kb2hap

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ
  • Gerry ShandGerry Shand Posts: 45
    edited 2004-10-15 14:37
    Hi There:

Thanks for the information. I did go to the Microchip site and it looks like I can use the MCP2515 interface and the MCP2551 transceiver. Looks like Digikey can stock both items and the overall cost for single unit quantities using these two chips is under $10.

So my friend will be happy with this. He wants a bunch of I/O throughout a house marshalled into stamps which will then connect to a universal controller via CANbus. He wants to do it this way because the main control unit he has specified has CAN already built into the machine.

The project looks doable, just a few programming techniques will need to be refined a bit.

Thanks for all the help so far. As I said before, this is a good place to go to get the answers. Keep up the good work everyone.

Regards,

Gerry Shand