Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
NIXIE Clock — Parallax Forums

NIXIE Clock

AbyssAbyss Posts: 8
edited 2004-10-14 16:59 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,
I would like to know if anybody here ever tried (or has knowledge of somebody else trying) to use a Basic Stamp to build a NIXIE tubes clock.
I have a BOEBOT now,but i know that it is possible to use PIC's to build these clocks.I have built a few of them based on IC's not none on PIC yet.Since i have a Stamp,i thought that maybe i can find somewhere a link that i can use to do research.Any help would be appreciated.

·

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2004-10-12 03:07
    I can't think of his name, but there is a guy that sell a bunch of Nixie stuff on ebay.

Terry
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-10-12 11:30
    Yep ... check it out: http://madlabs.info/atomic_nixie_clock.shtml

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • DaveGDaveG Posts: 84
    edited 2004-10-12 15:52
    Howdy,
    An excellent source for Nixie tubes and sockets is Sphere Research Corp in Canada (http://www.sphere.bc.ca).
    A high voltage driver IC is available from Mouser Electronics (www.mouser.com), #NTE74141, $7.07.

There is also a very cool Yahoo group for Nixies that has many discussions about Nixie clocks.

Dave G
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2004-10-12 21:12
    Abyss,

Like already mentioned, I built a nixie clock and the link is above. Jon wrote the Nixie lookup table stuff, and I just hooked it all up and added a couple of lines of code. It's an easy project. Just look out for the 170V or so required to run the Nixies. Put a current limiting resistor in series with the power supply and use an isolated transformer.

Check out the Yahoo neonixie news group. More infromation there on building and powering nixie clocks than you would beleive. Nixie clocks are really a cool project. I have a ton of odd projects on display at my house, and none except the Tesla coils generate more interest. I also have a Nixie display for my hot-tub, and am working on a Nixie GPS display for my 1960 Chevy pickup.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2004-10-12 23:41
    Nixie's at the hot-tub... SHOCKING...

HA HA HA HA

Terry
    edited 2004-10-13 14:23
    Terry,

Yeah, it's fun to watch folks with wet feet do the "Nixie Dance" ...... ;-0

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • AbyssAbyss Posts: 8
    edited 2004-10-13 23:55
    Thank You all for your replies. I had a brief look on madlabs but i couldn't see the source code.I will look further into it.I find it really neat to drive "old" technology with the new stuff.The Nixies died just about around the same time i was born tongue.gif
    edited 2004-10-14 15:03
    Abyss,

I am having some trouble with download links on my site and I'm not sure why. I am trying to fix it, but you can e-mail me off list and I'll be happy to send the code to you.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • AbyssAbyss Posts: 8
    edited 2004-10-14 16:59
    Thank You Jonathan.I sent you a private message with my e-mail address.