Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Digital Logic Levels... — Parallax Forums

Digital Logic Levels...

ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
edited 2001-05-08 16:25 in General Discussion
Chris,

········Do I needto limit current between 5V logic gates - AND, NAND, OR etc. - if theoutput of one is the input of another?· Or can they be connecteddirectly?

Thanks again,

Tim

Timothy Medema
CrystaLite, Inc.
3307 CedarSt.··················(425)745-6000·· 800-666-6065
Everett, WA98201···············Fax[noparse]:([/noparse]425) 257-0232

www.crystaliteinc.com···········timm@crystaliteinc.com

The information transmitted is intended onlyfor the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may containconfidential and/or privileged material.· Any review,retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action inreliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than theintended recipient is prohibited.· If you received this in error,please contact the sender and delete the material from anycomputer.

Comments

• ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
    edited 2001-05-08 14:11
    Tim:

If you'r using simple logic gates of the same family, they can, generally speaking, be connected out to in. By the time you get the signal(s) to your stamp input pin(s) you'll want to consider using pullup (or down) resistors to ensure the pin state when not active. I wouldn't worry about the current in the section you are describing, though.
    I am curious as to why you would use separate gates, when you have the stamp available- are you out of pins?

:Chris

Original Message
    From: Timothy Medema [noparse][[/noparse]mailto:timm@crystaliteinc.com]
    Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 6:58 PM
    To: basicstamps@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps] Digital Logic Levels...

Chris,

········Do I need to limit current between 5V logic gates - AND, NAND, OR etc. - if the output of one is the input of another?· Or can they be connected directly?

Thanks again,

Tim

Timothy Medema
    CrystaLite, Inc.
    3307 Cedar St.··················(425) 745-6000·· 800-666-6065
    Everett, WA 98201···············Fax: (425) 257-0232

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.· Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited.· If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
  • ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
    edited 2001-05-08 16:25
    Chris,

········No, I'mnot out of stamp pins.· I'm building several stand-alonesub-circuits that the BS2 is controlling.· By making themstand-alone, my stamp is not preoccupied most of the time.· Thankyou much for all of your help.

Tim

At 09:11 AM 5/8/2001 -0400, you wrote:
    Tim:

If you'r using simple logicgates of the same family, they can, generally speaking, be connected outto in. By the time you get the signal(s) to your stamp input pin(s)you'll want to consider using pullup (or down) resistors to ensure thepin state when not active. I wouldn't worry about the current in thesection you are describing, though.
    I am curious as to why youwould use separate gates, when you have the stamp available- are you outof pins?

:Chris

OriginalMessage
    From: Timothy Medema[noparse]/noparse][url=mailto:timm@crystaliteinc.com]mailto:timm@crystaliteinc.com[/url
    Sent: Monday, May 07, 2001 6:58 PM
    To: basicstamps@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps] Digital Logic Levels...

Chris,

········Do I needto limit current between 5V logic gates - AND, NAND, OR etc. - if theoutput of one is the input of another?· Or can they be connecteddirectly?

Thanks again,

Tim

Timothy Medema
    CrystaLite, Inc.

The information transmitted is intended onlyfor the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may containconfidential and/or privileged material.· Any review,retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action inreliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than theintended recipient is prohibited.· If you received this in error,please contact the sender and delete the material from anycomputer.
    Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to theYahoo! Terms ofService.

Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to theYahoo! Terms ofService.

Timothy Medema
    CrystaLite, Inc.