Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
FCC rules and regs — Parallax Forums

FCC rules and regs

ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
edited 2001-02-07 02:51 in General Discussion
If anybody knows, it'll be fellow Stampers... :-)

What is the maximum allowable current draw from a telephone line and still be within the FCC rules for connecting stuff to POTS. (I'm speaking of United States/Canada)

That is... I want to build a device that will be powered from the phone line... but I know there are rules regarding that practice. I just can't find anything on the FFC web site.

Thanks very mmuch,
Don

Comments

• ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
    edited 2001-02-03 01:48
    That's a good point.... there must be a threshold where if more than x mA (or uA?) is drawn the telco sees that as off-hook.... I intend for my device to remain on-hook at all times... similar to a Caller-ID adjunct box....

On the other hand, perhaps I could use the AC ring voltages to charge up a capacitor and have it discharge through my circuit.... hmmm just ideas...
    ·laughing... and then periodically call the "telco test number" to cause the phone to ring again ... :-) and (laughing more) using caller id to detect the ring is from the telco test number... supress the ring from the rest of the home/office wiring.... hmmm :-)

Don Russell

Position? Let's see.. .I'm at the corner of "Walk" and "Don't Walk"

Original Message
    To: basicstamps@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 5:55 PM
    Subject: Re: [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps] FCC rules and regs

Ill ask one of the guys at work, part of the company I work for is a privately owned telco.· Here is the trick though if you intend to draw power from the phone line it wont last long.· Any power draw will look like the phone is off hook and if you leave your phone off hook for too long they cut the power.·

Cy Brown

Original Message
    To: Basicstamps
    Sent: Friday, February 02, 2001 7:26 PM
    Subject: [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps] FCC rules and regs

What is the maximum allowable current draw from a telephone line and still be within the FCC rules for connecting stuff to POTS. (I'm speaking of United States/Canada)

That is... I want to build a device that will be powered from the phone line... but I know there are rules regarding that practice. I just can't find anything on the FFC web site.

Thanks very mmuch,
    Don
    edited 2001-02-03 01:55
    Ill ask one of the guys at work, part of the company I work for is a privately owned telco.· Here is the trick though if you intend to draw power from the phone line it wont last long.· Any power draw will look like the phone is off hook and if you leave your phone off hook for too long they cut the power.·

Cy Brown

Original Message

Thanks very mmuch,
    Don
    edited 2001-02-03 04:55
    hmmm, perhaps THAT's where the FCC rules come in? What if I had a circuit that detected an "off-hook" condition... when that occurs, turn on my main circuit... how much current can I draw then? I've seen a DAA that pretty much does exactly that (Clare or Mitel, not certain now)... monitors the POTS line with no external power supply, and produces a CMOS level pinouts to indicate "ringing" and "off-hook" (the DAA itself remains on-hook, but it detects a parallel DAA).... hmmm

Curiouser and curiouser... :-)

Don Russell

Position? Let's see.. .I'm at the corner of "Walk" and "Don't Walk"

Original Message

Cy Brown

Original Message

Thanks very mmuch,
    Don
    edited 2001-02-07 02:51
    Cy, were you able to find someone who knew the answer to this? Or where I might find the answer myself? I find the FCC web site difficult to navigate..

Thanks,
    Don Russell

Original Message

Cy Brown

Original Message

Thanks very mmuch,
    Don