Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newsgroup ?? — Parallax Forums

Newsgroup ??

ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
edited 2000-09-23 12:21 in General Discussion
An email list does not require you to be "connected" to the net to read
the messages where a usenet group does. With that, you are governed by
connection speed, net congestion, server speed along with other factors.
It is nice to not be tied to an ethernet or isdn cable to be able to read
these posts. Many times I will read then in my work van while between
service calls in the next state.

Just my .02,

Dale Harwood [noparse][[/noparse] N4VFF ]

internet> dale@h...

ax.25> n4vff@n4vff.#cha.tn.usa.noam

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Comments

• ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
    edited 2000-09-22 16:31
    At 07:45 AM 9/22/2000 -0500, you wrote:
    Hello,

My name is Nagi Babu. I'm a software consultant living inMinnesota, USA. I'm also a robot hobbyist. I own a www domain that Imanage and use to provide free web sites, news groups, etc., to myfriends and family members.

I have participated in this Basic Stamp - message forum fora few months now and have realized that it is way too complicated tofollow a conversation thread. For example, when I post a question, Iusually care to follow-up on just my conversation thread. I also do careabout looking up on the other conversations based on the subject line onthe posted message. Since this forum acts like a message board, ourmail-boxes fill up fairly quickly - but, most importantly, it gets verydifficult to read up on your conversation when those emails flood yourin-box - I guess, most of us agree to this.

Keeping this in mind, I have an idea to create a newsgroup.It will behave just like this forum except, it is far more organized,followable, easy to access, and most importantly, your email box will notbe flooded with emails. With a newsgroup concept, you connect to myserver using programs such as Outlook Express (or any other news readerprogram that you might have) and selectively read the message thatinterest you - and - the converstations that you are participatingin.

Please comment and let me know if you guys will beinterested in something like this.

As you will note, I changed the Subject Header, and added[noparse][[/noparse]OT]. I also, lopped off the prior, unnecessary mesage. YOU should haveADDED a NEW message, instead of replying to an existing one. This isalmost a list-wide problem. This is NOT DONE often enough; thus threadingbecomes impossible. I agree, it IS a cross-threaded maze (at best!).

Unless I'm wrong, a newsgroup implies a newreader port (or something likethat). For usenet, I have no such service with my ISP. If this would bedifferent - I'm game to try it, presuming Free Agent can access it. Ihave NO USE for Outlook - PERIOD. Every hacker in the world is writing anew virus or worm to penetrate it. YMMV, of course.
    thanks a lot for your time

Yup
    nagi
    nags@crosscity.com
    http://nagi.crosscity.com

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    bvbates@usamailbox.com
    edited 2000-09-22 16:42
    Thanks Bruce.

I have tested with Free Agent - works great.

My news server name is news.crosscity.com. Please subscribe to crosscity.public.basicstamp newsgroup.

Since I just started this, we will not have any messages at least for a while.

Please let me know if you have any questions

Original Message
    From: Bruce Bates [noparse][[/noparse]mailto:bvbates@usamailbox.com]
    Sent: Friday, September 22, 2000 10:32 AM
    To: basicstamps@egroups.com
    Subject: RE: [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps] [noparse][[/noparse]OT] Newsgroup ??

Hello,

My name is Nagi Babu. I'm a software consultant living in Minnesota, USA. I'm also a robot hobbyist. I own a www domain that I manage and use to provide free web sites, news groups, etc., to my friends and family members.

I have participated in this Basic Stamp - message forum for a few months now and have realized that it is way too complicated to follow a conversation thread. For example, when I post a question, I usually care to follow-up on just my conversation thread. I also do care about looking up on the other conversations based on the subject line on the posted message. Since this forum acts like a message board, our mail-boxes fill up fairly quickly - but, most importantly, it gets very difficult to read up on your conversation when those emails flood your in-box - I guess, most of us agree to this.

Keeping this in mind, I have an idea to create a newsgroup. It will behave just like this forum except, it is far more organized, followable, easy to access, and most importantly, your email box will not be flooded with emails. With a newsgroup concept, you connect to my server using programs such as Outlook Express (or any other news reader program that you might have) and selectively read the message that interest you - and - the converstations that you are participating in.

Please comment and let me know if you guys will be interested in something like this.

As you will note, I changed the Subject Header, and added [noparse][[/noparse]OT]. I also, lopped off the prior, unnecessary mesage. YOU should have ADDED a NEW message, instead of replying to an existing one. This is almost a list-wide problem. This is NOT DONE often enough; thus threading becomes impossible. I agree, it IS a cross-threaded maze (at best !).

Unless I'm wrong, a newsgroup implies a newreader port (or something like that). For usenet, I have no such service with my ISP. If this would be different - I'm game to try it, presuming Free Agent can access it. I have NO USE for Outlook - PERIOD. Every hacker in the world is writing a new virus or worm to penetrate it. YMMV, of course.

Yup
    nagi
    nags@crosscity.com

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    bvbates@usamailbox.com
    edited 2000-09-22 16:53
    My news server name is news.crosscity.com. Please subscribe to
    crosscity.public.basicstamp newsgroup.
    nags@c...
    edited 2000-09-22 16:54
    Sorry for that last message, people. Hit the Send button too soon!
    edited 2000-09-22 17:23
    >realized that it is way too complicated to follow a
    >conversation thread. For example, when I post a question, I usually care
    >to follow-up on just my conversation thread.
    >...
    >Keeping this in mind, I have an idea to create a newsgroup.

Hi Nagi,

I for one know that I don't have time for yet another newsgroup.

You can sort of do what you want to do on egroups. Visit the the egroups
    server:

http://www.egroups.com/messages/basicstamps/

That is where you go to change your membership options, one of which is to
    turn off automatic mail delivery. You can read messages on line when you
    want.

When you want to follow just one thread, or check up on what is goin on,
    visit:

http://www.egroups.com/messages/basicstamps/

In the "search" box, type in your name, or the message topic that interests
    you, and viola', the window will show only messages that match. Not full
    threading, but it is kind of nice.

It is easy to link directly to a specific message by number. Here is your
    own most recent one:

http://www.egroups.com/message/basicstamps/4588
    RE: [noparse][[/noparse]OT] Newsgroup ??

-- Tracy Allen
    Electronically Monitored Ecosystems
    http://www.emesystems.com
    edited 2000-09-22 18:07
    if there were a solid newsgroup setup you could easily montior it without a news
    server through www.deja.com.

Deja also allows you to search across multiple groups from one source. A nice
    oittle page. . .

Brian
    edited 2000-09-22 19:20
    I like this idea but have a problem with it. Most of my monitoring of this
    list is done at work as it fits in with with my job, sort of.. The issue is
    I'm behind a firewall and connot connect to "private" news servers such as
    this. So the current email system works the best for me here as I have no
    speed problems. On the other hand from home the news server is a better
    option.

How about a system that provides both?

Regards,
    Mike

Original Message
    From: Babu, Nagi -*Contractor [noparse]/noparse]mailto:[url=http://forums.parallaxinc.com/group/basicstamps/post?postID=s8uas91EZT_OBIzW6x9EWRmyRNkxEqWgBKhLuY3dQ5rFHLOP0kcjnPbT08b_Qn8OEaJdFH-BjY_0]nags@c...[/url
    Sent: Friday, September 22, 2000 8:42 AM
    To: 'basicstamps@egroups.com'
    Subject: RE: [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps] [noparse][[/noparse]OT] Newsgroup ??

Thanks Bruce.

I have tested with Free Agent - works great.

My news server name is news.crosscity.com. Please subscribe to
    crosscity.public.basicstamp newsgroup.

Since I just started this, we will not have any messages at least for a
    while.

Original Message
    From: Bruce Bates [noparse]/noparse]mailto:[url=http://forums.parallaxinc.com/group/basicstamps/post?postID=txyy_qGRng1Tvu5w_8C4YOo8LH0MvPAfg0CWceohVntPR10sIlMwKWPYxB_-vrf5cNT5ntstxE_vusW0IcHrY4w]bvbates@u...[/url
    Sent: Friday, September 22, 2000 10:32 AM

Hello,

My name is Nagi Babu. I'm a software consultant living in Minnesota, USA.
    I'm also a robot hobbyist. I own a www domain that I manage and use to
    provide free web sites, news groups, etc., to my friends and family members.

I have participated in this Basic Stamp - message forum for a few months now
    and have realized that it is way too complicated to follow a conversation
    thread. For example, when I post a question, I usually care to follow-up on
    just my conversation thread. I also do care about looking up on the other
    conversations based on the subject line on the posted message. Since this
    forum acts like a message board, our mail-boxes fill up fairly quickly -
    but, most importantly, it gets very difficult to read up on your
    conversation when those emails flood your in-box - I guess, most of us agree
    to this.

Keeping this in mind, I have an idea to create a newsgroup. It will behave
    just like this forum except, it is far more organized, followable, easy to
    access, and most importantly, your email box will not be flooded with
    emails. With a newsgroup concept, you connect to my server using programs
    such as Outlook Express (or any other news reader program that you might
    have) and selectively read the message that interest you - and - the
    converstations that you are participating in.

Please comment and let me know if you guys will be interested in something
    like this.

As you will note, I changed the Subject Header, and added [noparse][[/noparse]OT]. I also,
    lopped off the prior, unnecessary mesage. YOU should have ADDED a NEW
    message, instead of replying to an existing one. This is almost a list-wide
    problem. This is NOT DONE often enough; thus threading becomes impossible. I
    agree, it IS a cross-threaded maze (at best !).

Unless I'm wrong, a newsgroup implies a newreader port (or something like
    that). For usenet, I have no such service with my ISP. If this would be
    different - I'm game to try it, presuming Free Agent can access it. I have
    NO USE for Outlook - PERIOD. Every hacker in the world is writing a new
    virus or worm to penetrate it. YMMV, of course.

Yup

nagi
    nags@c...
    http://nagi.crosscity.com <http://nagi.crosscity.com>

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    bvbates@u...
    edited 2000-09-22 22:00
    Nagi,

And what happens when you loose interest in supporting the newsgroup?

It would make this maillist quite a bit better if posters would learn how to
    delete some of the thread they are responding to. We REALLY DO NOT need to
    see the same stuff over and over and over.....

Another suggestion is to set your profile on this list to digest and get one
    or occasionally two posts a day.

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman vfraenc1@n...
    KC2GUI www.windsway.com

Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
    Read the WIND
    edited 2000-09-22 22:10
    RE: [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps] [noparse][[/noparse]OT] Newsgroup ??

Vic,

That's a question that I will answer with a few questions. What if I loose interest in managing the other 34 sites, 120 EMail accts, 42 FTP Sites in my domain - that I do for my friends and family? The fact is, I take my interests very deeply. What if I loose interest in my family, my life... These questions are easy to ask - difficuly to answer.

If your employer asked you this question, "what if you loose interest in our company 10 yrs from today - therefore, I shall not hire you today - even though you are damn good at your job?!"

That might be quite a question to answer...

Vic, I appreciate your openness, but, I think I'm a professional in my job and all the more so in my interests.

Original Message

From: Vic Fraenckel [noparse]/noparse][url=mailto:vfraenc1@nycap.rr.com]mailto:vfraenc1@nycap.rr.com[/url
    Sent: Friday, September 22, 2000 4:00 PM
    To: Stamp Mailing List
    Subject: [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps] [noparse][[/noparse]OT] Newsgroup ??

Nagi,

And what happens when you loose interest in supporting the newsgroup?

It would make this maillist quite a bit better if posters would learn how to
    delete some of the thread they are responding to. We REALLY DO NOT need to
    see the same stuff over and over and over.....

Another suggestion is to set your profile on this list to digest and get one
    or occasionally two posts a day.

Vic

Victor Fraenckel - The Windman················ vfraenc1@nycap.rr.com
    KC2GUI····················································· www.windsway.com

····· Home of the WindReader Electronic Theodolite
    ······························ Read the WIND
    edited 2000-09-22 22:20
    I, for one, am quite happy with this listserv and have no interest in
    another newsgroup. Since I am sending this out anyway I would just
    like to thank everyone for all the good info....my hardcopy file is
    getting quite large!!
    Vince
    edited 2000-09-23 03:40
    You could add the news server to this list serve so the news group was a good representation of what goes on here. I have to admit that it is nice to have these messages delivered directly into my mail as I access my mail from my cell phone, pager, palm, etc. News groups do not have that ability at this time... But I'm done being off the topic for now... back to the tech talk.

-mh-

Original Message
    Sent: Friday, September 22, 2000 10:52 PM
    I wouldn't want to replace this listserve, but wouldn't mind a newsgroup as well...and certainly a .binaries option would be welcome.

Mark

My news server name is news.crosscity.com. Please subscribe to crosscity.public.basicstamp newsgroup.

Original Message
    From: Bruce Bates [noparse][[/noparse]mailto:bvbates@usamailbox.com] Sent: Friday, September 22, 2000 10:32 AM To: basicstamps@egroups.com Subject: RE: [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps] [noparse][[/noparse]OT] Newsgroup ??

Hello,

My name is Nagi Babu. I'm a software consultant living in Minnesota, USA. I'm also a robot hobbyist. I own a www domain that I manage and use to provide free web sites, news groups, etc., to my friends and family members. I have participated in this Basic Stamp - message forum for a few months now and have realized that it is way too complicated to follow a conversation thread. For example, when I post a question, I usually care to follow-up on just my conversation thread. I also do care about looking up on the other conversations based on the subject line on the posted message. Since this forum acts like a message board, our mail-boxes fill up fairly quickly - but, most importantly, it gets very difficult to read up on your conversation when those emails flood your in-box - I guess, most of us agree to this. Keeping this in mind, I have an idea to create a newsgroup. It will behave just like this forum except, it is far more organized, followable, easy to access, and most importantly, your email box will not be flooded with emails. With a newsgroup concept, you connect to my server using programs such as Outlook Express (or any other news reader program that you might have) and selectively read the message that interest you - and - the converstations that you are participating in. Please comment and let me know if you guys will be interested in something like this.

As you will note, I changed the Subject Header, and added [noparse][[/noparse]OT]. I also, lopped off the prior, unnecessary mesage. YOU should have ADDED a NEW message, instead of replying to an existing one. This is almost a list-wide problem. This is NOT DONE often enough; thus threading becomes impossible. I agree, it IS a cross-threaded maze (at best !).

Unless I'm wrong, a newsgroup implies a newreader port (or something like that). For usenet, I have no such service with my ISP. If this would be different - I'm game to try it, presuming Free Agent can access it. I have NO USE for Outlook - PERIOD. Every hacker in the world is writing a new virus or worm to penetrate it. YMMV, of course.

Yup

nagi nags@crosscity.com http://nagi.crosscity.com

Regards,

Bruce Bates bvbates@usamailbox.com
    edited 2000-09-23 03:52
    I wouldn't want to replace this listserve, butwouldn't mind a newsgroup as well...and certainly a .binaries optionwould be welcome.

Mark

My news server name isnews.crosscity.com. Please subscribe tocrosscity.public.basicstamp newsgroup.

Since I just startedthis, we will not have any messages at least for a while.

Please let me know ifyou have any questions

Original Message
    From: Bruce Bates [noparse][[/noparse]mailto:bvbates@usamailbox.com] Sent: Friday, September 22, 2000 10:32 AM To: basicstamps@egroups.com Subject: RE: [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps] [noparse][[/noparse]OT] Newsgroup ??

Hello,

My name is Nagi Babu. I'm a software consultant living in Minnesota,USA. I'm also a robot hobbyist. I own a www domain that I manage and useto provide free web sites, news groups, etc., to my friends and familymembers. I have participated in this Basic Stamp - message forum for a fewmonths now and have realized that it is way too complicated to follow aconversation thread. For example, when I post a question, I usually careto follow-up on just my conversation thread. I also do care about lookingup on the other conversations based on the subject line on the postedmessage. Since this forum acts like a message board, our mail-boxes fillup fairly quickly - but, most importantly, it gets very difficult to readup on your conversation when those emails flood your in-box - I guess,most of us agree to this. Keeping this in mind, I have an idea to create a newsgroup. It willbehave just like this forum except, it is far more organized, followable,easy to access, and most importantly, your email box will not be floodedwith emails. With a newsgroup concept, you connect to my server usingprograms such as Outlook Express (or any other news reader program thatyou might have) and selectively read the message that interest you - and- the converstations that you are participating in. Please comment and let me know if you guys will be interested insomething like this.

As you will note, I changed the Subject Header, and added [noparse][[/noparse]OT]. Ialso, lopped off the prior, unnecessary mesage. YOU should have ADDED aNEW message, instead of replying to an existing one. This is almost alist-wide problem. This is NOT DONE often enough; thus threading becomesimpossible. I agree, it IS a cross-threaded maze (at best !).

Unless I'm wrong, a newsgroup implies a newreader port (or somethinglike that). For usenet, I have no such service with my ISP. If this wouldbe different - I'm game to try it, presuming Free Agent can access it. Ihave NO USE for Outlook - PERIOD. Every hacker in the world is writing anew virus or worm to penetrate it. YMMV, of course.

Yup

Regards,

edited 2000-09-23 12:21
    Hi all,
    I find this idea excellent.
    · When I was registered with the Stampgroup , I was very astonished by the mixture of the questions and the answers, not very user-friendly.
    · Normally the group of news is more advantageous for the place on the hard disks, for the speed of downloading, and the legibility of the messages.
    It charges just the title of the emails.
    · I precisely think if all answers to "Re:· [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps ] [noparse][[/noparse] OT ] Newsgroup??"· were in same the directory, it would be a truth happiness…·

But, two Stampgroups are not desirable,
    thus it would be necessary that the current group decide to pass in
    the newsgroup form·.·
    ·Just an opinion.·

·Jean.

·

Original Message
    Sent: Saturday, September 23, 2000 4:40 AM
    Subject: Re: [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps] [noparse][[/noparse]OT] Newsgroup ??

You could add the news server to this list serve so the news group was a good representation of what goes on here. I have to admit that it is nice to have these messages delivered directly into my mail as I access my mail from my cell phone, pager, palm, etc. News groups do not have that ability at this time... But I'm done being off the topic for now... back to the tech talk.

-mh-

Original Message
    Sent: Friday, September 22, 2000 10:52 PM
    I wouldn't want to replace this listserve, but wouldn't mind a newsgroup as well...and certainly a .binaries option would be welcome.

Mark

Original Message

Hello,

My name is Nagi Babu. I'm a software consultant living in Minnesota, USA. I'm also a robot hobbyist. I own a www domain that I manage and use to provide free web sites, news groups, etc., to my friends and family members. I have participated in this Basic Stamp - message forum for a few months now and have realized that it is way too complicated to follow a conversation thread. For example, when I post a question, I usually care to follow-up on just my conversation thread. I also do care about looking up on the other conversations based on the subject line on the posted message. Since this forum acts like a message board, our mail-boxes fill up fairly quickly - but, most importantly, it gets very difficult to read up on your conversation when those emails flood your in-box - I guess, most of us agree to this. Keeping this in mind, I have an idea to create a newsgroup. It will behave just like this forum except, it is far more organized, followable, easy to access, and most importantly, your email box will not be flooded with emails. With a newsgroup concept, you connect to my server using programs such as Outlook Express (or any other news reader program that you might have) and selectively read the message that interest you - and - the converstations that you are participating in. Please comment and let me know if you guys will be interested in something like this.

Yup

Regards,