serial pin outs — Parallax Forums

serial pin outs

ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
edited 2000-08-09 05:41 in General Discussion
Since the BSII uses a serial interface for programming, it is unlikely that
you will be able to use the parallel port on your PC. Installing another
Serial I/O card in your PC is probably the best and cheapest bet. (The BS1,
however, uses the parrallel (LPT1) port for programming). Regarding the pin
outs for the serial port, check the Samp Manual page 212.

>
Original Message
> From: JOHN & LISA [noparse]/noparse]SMTP:[url=http://forums.parallaxinc.com/group/basicstamps/post?postID=-85zGV_hnvukTNLGLFehJMboTe5AXbORB2xSphTBzBMUCrykSR8b8MBxAsc2P_VkzVr8xCp4ohbdQNxkTuo]johnlisa@c...[/url
> Sent: Wednesday,9 August 2000 1:28
> To: basicstamps@egroups.com
> Subject: [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps] serial pin outs
>
> I'm very new to computers but an old hand at electronics, and i've started
> to build my own version of boebot, but I need to know if the BSII can be
> programmed from LPT1. As I've only one serial port and the mouse uses
> that. I'm also using a home made version of the board of education, which
> may be half my problem, but I cant test this until I know the pin outs for
> the serial port and LPT1 if it can be programmed from this. Good luck to
> everybody in the forum with all current and future projects.
>

Comments

• ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
    edited 2000-08-09 04:27
    I'm very new to computers but an old hand at electronics, and i've started to build my own version of boebot, but I need to know if the BSII can be programmed from·LPT1. As I've only one·serial port and the mouse uses that. I'm also using a home made version of the board of education, which may be half my problem, but I cant test this until I know the pin outs for the serial port and LPT1 if it can be programmed from this. Good luck to everybody in the forum with all current and future projects.
    edited 2000-08-09 04:39
    At 04:27 AM 8/9/00, you wrote:
    I'm very new tocomputers but an old hand at electronics, and i've started to build myown version of boebot, but I need to know if the BSII can be programmedfrom LPT1.

Simply put - no. The Stamp II and II-SX use a serial interface. The StampI is the only one which uses a parallel interface.
    ·As I've onlyone serial port and the mouse uses that.

Is this a laptop or a desktop computer ? Having just one serial port is abit odd for a standard PC (presumption, of course). Windows 95 (minimumthat is required) on an old 386/486 (non-Pentium is fine) with 66+ MHzand VGA, with 48 MB and a hard disk, is all that is required. Suchmachines can be obtained for $25 or less from the Salvation Army. TheParallax website is also now touting an IMac solution, although I knowNOTHING about iMacs.
    I'm also using ahome made version of the board of education, which may be half myproblem, but I cant test this until I know the pin outs for the serialport and LPT1 if it can be programmed from this.

The pinouts and all other documentation about the Parallax BASIC Stampscan be found at their website [noparse]/noparse][url=http://www.parallaxinc.com/]www.parallaxinc.com[/url in the download section. All downloads are free. (Note: I tried to download the BOE blurb from the Parallax website tonight, and was UNABLE to do so. I suspect the problem is MINE, however, as my Acrobat Reader needs updating. My suggestion would be to hook straight up to the Stamps In Class website.).
    Good luck to everybody in the forum with all current and future projects.

Thanks, and feel free to query this list, to join the Board of Education List
    (eGroups :· Stamps In Class), or the SX Tech List (eGroups : SX Tech), any of which may be accessed for subscription purposes, directly from the Tech Support section of the Parallax website (see above). All lists deal with robotics, and the Stamps In Class [noparse][[/noparse] www.stampsinclass.com· ] group uses the BOE 'bot as a classroom exercise and project. Full documentation as a classroom cirriculum, is also available on that website in the Download Section.

Have fun !

Regards,

Bruce Bates
    edited 2000-08-09 05:41
    the BasicX chip can be programmed through the parallel port so i hear.. www.basicx.com

>>>>

> At 04:27 AM 8/9/00, you wrote:
    >
    > > [size=-1]I'm very new to computers but an old hand at electronics, and i've started to build my own version of boebot, but I need to know if the BSII can be programmed from LPT1.
    > > [/size]
    >
    >
    > Simply put - no. The Stamp II and II-SX use a serial interface. The Stamp I is the only one which uses a parallel interface.
    >
    >
    > > [size=-1] As I've only one serial port and the mouse uses that.
    > > [/size]
    >
    > Is this a laptop or a desktop computer ? Having just one serial port is a bit odd for a standard PC (presumption, of course). Windows 95 (minimum that is required) on an old 386/486 (non-Pentium is fine) with 66+ MHz and VGA, with 48 MB and a hard disk, is all that is required. Such machines can be obtained for $25 or less from the Salvation Army. The Parallax website is also now touting an IMac solution, although I know NOTHING about iMacs.
    >
    >
    > > [size=-1]I'm also using a home made version of the board of education, which may be half my problem, but I cant test this until I know the pin outs for the serial port and LPT1 if it can be programmed from this.
    > > [/size]
    >
    > The pinouts and all other documentation about the Parallax BASIC Stamps can be found at their website [noparse][[/noparse] <http://www.parallaxinc.com/>www.parallaxinc.com ] in the download section. All downloads are free. (Note: I tried to download the BOE blurb from the Parallax website tonight, and was UNABLE to do so. I suspect the problem is MINE, however, as my Acrobat Reader needs updating. My suggestion would be to hook straight up to the Stamps In Class website.).
    >
    >
    > > [size=-1]Good luck to everybody in the forum with all current and future projects.
    > > [/size]
    > Thanks, and feel free to query this list, to join the Board of Education List
    > (eGroups : Stamps In Class), or the SX Tech List (eGroups : SX Tech), any of which may be accessed for subscription purposes, directly from the Tech Support section of the Parallax website (see above). All lists deal with robotics, and the Stamps In Class [noparse][[/noparse] <http://www.stampsinclass.com/>www.stampsinclass.com ] group uses the BOE 'bot as a classroom exercise and project. Full documentation as a classroom cirriculum, is also available on that website in the Download Section.
    >
    > Have fun !
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Bruce Bates
    >
    >
    <<<<