Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hello — Parallax Forums

Hello

ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
edited 2001-12-07 17:13 in General Discussion
" R. Walker" wrote:
[size=-1]Iam a first timer to address BStamps E Group. After reading very much info·······from the Group, I know that I am a novice with Stamp, so keep that in mind....···I have been working with the Stamp2· for about a year since I retired.·I have 2[/size][size=-1]Stamp2 projectsoperating.· One controls my heat system fan by monitoring·······the temp and gas valve.· Works Better than the original system. Theother Stamp2 is monitoring my water temp & leaks;refrigerator temp,leaks:Air cond moisture;··· and it also monitors the Stamp2 controllingmy fan. I am working on a tracking·······solar panel,regulator & charger.· I programmed these with a 486.·Last week········ I purchased aCompaq 7470 with Windows 98, and that's when the problem···········started.....· I cannot get it to communicate with the Stamp2.·I assume that········· Stamp2Software being DOS 2.0, It cannot operate on a Windows 98 which·········has no DOS,· right..··· The Compaq Port1 will workwith a weather instrument········that is Win 95 based.· Is there a Stamp software update or some othereasy········ answer to this problem.·I am open to suggestions.·············································Thanks:··· Ray Walker[/size]

There is Win98 Software at the parallax website.· http://www.parallazinc.com

Rus
--
Rus Hardy
"Lucky Devil"
Keeper of the Bucky-n-Thrifty Flame
http://www.boneyardbargains.com/
"my mind wanders....I'm just along for the ride"

Comments

• ArchiverArchiver Posts: 46,084
    edited 2000-04-24 18:59
    I am a first timer to address BStamps E Group. After reading very much info··· ··· from the Group, I know that I am a novice with·Stamp, so·keep that in mind....··· I have been working with the Stamp2· for about a year since I retired.· I have 2
    Stamp2 projects operating.· One controls my heat system fan by monitoring··· ··· the temp and gas valve.· Works Better than the original system. The other Stamp2 is monitoring my water temp & leaks;refrigerator temp,leaks:·Air cond moisture;··· and it also monitors the Stamp2 controlling my fan. I am working on a tracking······· solar panel,regulator & charger.· I programmed these with a 486.· Last week··· ··· ·I purchased a Compaq 7470 with Windows 98, and that's when the problem··· ··· ··· started.....· I cannot get it to communicate with the Stamp2.··I assume that ··· ··· ·Stamp2 Software being DOS 2.0, It cannot operate on a Windows 98 which ··· ··· ·has no DOS,· right..··· The Compaq Port1 will work with a weather instrument··· ··· ·that is Win 95 based.· Is there a Stamp software update or some other easy··· ··· ·answer to this problem.· I am open to suggestions.··· ··· ··· ··· ··· ··· ··· ··· ··· ··· ··· ··Thanks:··· Ray Walker·
    edited 2000-04-24 19:28
    Ray,

··· Actually, Win 98 sits over the top of dos just likeit always as.· Opening an ms-dos prompt or using the F8 key at boottime to get the startup menu and then selecting command prompt will getyou as good a dos as you have ever had.· You should check the commport settings under the windows control panel for the proper handshakingselections ( hardware ) and baud rate ( 9600 ).· For some silly reasona comm port under a newly installed windows defaults to software handshakingor xon-xoff, a method of serial comm control that I have not seen any deviceneed for the last eight years, yet that is typically the default 'out ofthe box'.· You may also want to see how your comm ports are definedin the BIOS settings.· Often if the bios defaults to 'auto' for theport definition, the port will behave inconsistently.· You can forcethese settings to the actual values desired for the comm port number youwant. Comm1· - 3F8 / irq 4, Comm2 - 2F8 / irq 3, Comm3 - 3E8 / irq4, Comm4 - 2E8 / irq3.· Hope some of this helps!

··· Bill Mrozinski - DCS

" R. Walker" wrote:
    [size=-1]Iam a first timer to address BStamps E Group. After reading very much info·······from the Group, I know that I am a novice with Stamp, so keep that in mind....···I have been working with the Stamp2· for about a year since I retired.·I have 2[/size][size=-1]Stamp2 projectsoperating.· One controls my heat system fan by monitoring·······the temp and gas valve.· Works Better than the original system. Theother Stamp2 is monitoring my water temp & leaks;refrigerator temp,leaks:Air cond moisture;··· and it also monitors the Stamp2 controllingmy fan. I am working on a tracking·······solar panel,regulator & charger.· I programmed these with a 486.·Last week········ I purchased aCompaq 7470 with Windows 98, and that's when the problem···········started.....· I cannot get it to communicate with the Stamp2.·I assume that········· Stamp2Software being DOS 2.0, It cannot operate on a Windows 98 which·········has no DOS,· right..··· The Compaq Port1 will workwith a weather instrument········that is Win 95 based.· Is there a Stamp software update or some othereasy········ answer to this problem.·I am open to suggestions.·············································Thanks:··· Ray Walker[/size]
    edited 2000-04-24 19:47
    You have been using the stamp longer than I have so you might know better, but you can program the basic stamp using Parallax inc basic stamp editor version 1.091 beta through and of your com ports on a win98 system. The program is windows based.

Regards,
    Jim Szymczak

>>>>

> [size=-1]I am a first timer to address BStamps E Group. After reading very much info from the Group, I know that I am a novice with Stamp, so keep that in mind.... I have been working with the Stamp2 for about a year since I retired. I have 2
    > Stamp2 projects operating. One controls my heat system fan by monitoring the temp and gas valve. Works Better than the original system. The other Stamp2 is monitoring my water temp & leaks;refrigerator temp,leaks: Air cond moisture; and it also monitors the Stamp2 controlling my fan. I am working on a tracking solar panel,regulator & charger. I programmed these with a 486. Last week I purchased a Compaq 7470 with Windows 98, and that's when the problem started..... I cannot get it to communicate with the Stamp2. I assume that Stamp2 Software being DOS 2.0, It cannot operate on a Windows 98 which has no DOS, right.. The Compaq Port1 will work with a weather instrument that is Win 95 based. Is there a Stamp software update or some other easy answer to this problem. I am open to suggestions. Thanks: Ray Walker
    > [/size]
    >
    >
    <<<<
    edited 2000-04-25 06:36
    Im· using a 98 box right now· and· have since January, I use version· Stampw 1.04· ( which· shipped with my starter kit in Jan. )· I just· copied· the exe· to my desktop,·· and· have· been extremely happy )·· I built my· computer· myself· so· maybe· Im· benefitting· from no· brand· name· ill-effects· regarding ports· and· settings..·· BTW· Your· projects· sound· really interesting· and well conceived.·· This list is great......where· else· can· you· open your· email· and· read· about· a· 11 year· old· who's· trying· to make· a· dialysis machine· or· some other equally amazing· machine,.......and· having· success !!!··· Its· inspiring· and intimidating both i think.

Good Luck,

Dave

Original Message

To: BStamps EGroup <basicstamps@egroups.com>
    Date: Monday, April 24, 2000 1:03 PM
    Subject: [noparse][[/noparse]basicstamps] Hello
    I am a first timer to address BStamps E Group. After reading very much info··· ··· from the Group, I know that I am a novice with·Stamp, so·keep that in mind....··· I have been working with the Stamp2· for about a year since I retired.· I have 2
    Stamp2 projects operating.· One controls my heat system fan by monitoring··· ··· the temp and gas valve.· Works Better than the original system. The other Stamp2 is monitoring my water temp & leaks;refrigerator temp,leaks:·Air cond moisture;··· and it also monitors the Stamp2 controlling my fan. I am working on a tracking······· solar panel,regulator & charger.· I programmed these with a 486.· Last week··· ··· ·I purchased a Compaq 7470 with Windows 98, and that's when the problem··· ··· ··· started.....· I cannot get it to communicate with the Stamp2.··I assume that ··· ··· ·Stamp2 Software being DOS 2.0, It cannot operate on a Windows 98 which ··· ··· ·has no DOS,· right..··· The Compaq Port1 will work with a weather instrument··· ··· ·that is Win 95 based.· Is there a Stamp software update or some other easy··· ··· ·answer to this problem.· I am open to suggestions.··· ··· ··· ··· ··· ··· ··· ··· ··· ··· ··· ··Thanks:··· Ray Walker·
    edited 2001-12-07 17:13
    Does anyone in the group work for a company that makes diesel engines
    for Chev HD trucks in Dayton, Ohio? Just curious..

leroy