Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Homework Board — Parallax Forums

Homework Board

ExilictExilict Posts: 31
edited 2004-10-17 04:25 in BASIC Stamp
BIG problem....· I hook up a battery to my homework board, the green power light flashes and it turns off....· nothing is working...· Tried replacing the battery, unplugging and plugging in the cable.· Dissconnecting EVERYTHING from the project baord.....· any other ideas???

-X

Comments

• BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2004-10-11 02:29
    Sounds like something is shorted.

Does the LED still flash when the battery is connected ?
    If not then the regulator may be blown.

Terry
  • ExilictExilict Posts: 31
    edited 2004-10-11 03:12
    The LED flashes one time, when the batter is first hooked up... and that is all...

So what should I do now?

Thanks
    X
  • lrohnlrohn Posts: 33
    edited 2004-10-11 04:10
    Hello -X,

The LED on the homework board does not stay on if it is not running a program like it does with the Board of Education.

Run your Basic Stamp Editor program with the battery connected to the Homework board and the Homework board connected to the Serial port. Then click on the ID "identify" button in the Basic Stamp Editor. If your stamp shows up on one of the com ports then it is working fine.

Let me know what you discover,
    Luke
    edited 2004-10-11 16:08
    No, the LED is defentally suppose to stay on. It has up untill this point....

And no, the computer is not finding the board...

Thanks though,
    X
  • Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2004-10-11 19:28
    By any chance, does the regulator immediately get "warm" when you hook up the battery? It sounds like your regulator is going into thermal shutdown...perhaps due to a short. It would explain why each connect flashes the LED...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are in a maze of twisty passages...all alike...
  • lrohnlrohn Posts: 33
    edited 2004-10-12 02:13
    Is your homework board running a program already loaded into the stamp? If your answer is yes, then the Power LED should be ON. If there is no program loaded then the LED will turn on then off immediately after the battery is connected (it is not definately supposed to stay on). I use homework boards almost exclusively for all my projects and am aware of how it functions.

Here's a link to the manual:

http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/boards/hwb.pdf

Page 4 explains why the power LED turns off when no program is running or it reaches an END command in the program.

Sounds like you might have another problem and should try parallax technical support.
    edited 2004-10-17 03:59
    Everything gets warm. And LRohm, the computer wont even detect it as a board. It SHOULD have a program running but I think its fried...

now what??? :-/

-X
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2004-10-17 04:25
    X,

The others did a pretty good job troubleshooting it for you. I recommend using a new battery and trying again. If you still can't identify the Stamp from the editor (and you used to be able to) then you could have damaged something. It's not a problem, though.

Call us Monday morning for an RMA number for a repair. Our Sales Manager Jim Carey will be in the office by 7:00 a.m. PST.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.