Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 and X10 — Parallax Forums

BS2 and X10

aekloaeklo Posts: 20
edited 2004-10-11 18:28 in BASIC Stamp
I own a CM10 X.10 controller. This unit has a battery backed up clock, and the ability to run macros.
At first power-up, it requires the date and time to be set, if else it will not acceppt any commands.
Also, when setting the date/time and also when sending a X.10 command to it, it replies with a checksum. This checksum must be acknowledged for the unit to carry out the command.
Also, the CM10 sends a repeatedly "RING"-signal to indicate an incoming X.10 signal.

Now, to my question...
Does the XOUT command of BS support any of these two requirements (date/time and checksum)?
I believe that the XOUT command is a one way only command?

Will my only way of using·the CM10 module be writing my own code all from scratch, or could I trick the BS into at least sending commands to the unit? Guess by combining SEROUT, SERIN·and XOUT in some way?

An exact description of what the XOUT command does would perhaps be of most help.
As you see, a lot of questions, and any help or tips would be highly appreciated!! :-)

Aeklo.

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-10-09 02:40
    Can you offer up any more information about the device you're using? Web site? Specs?

The XOUT command is documented as to what it does (essential X10 commands), perhaps your device takes advantage of special sequence of those commands.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • aekloaeklo Posts: 20
    edited 2004-10-09 23:56
    The interface I intend to use is most often reffered to as a CP10 or CM11 (I am using the CM11).
    Here is a link to the actual product: www.intellihome.be/english/productview.asp?id=21

The full specification to its syntax is found here: www.mikrobitti.fi/nettijatkot/2003/11/x10/x10-protocol.htm
    Note especially the chapters 8 - Set Interface Clock (which must be done before the unit accepts any commands), and chapter 3.1.2 - Interface Checksum and PC Acknowledge, which describes the required reply froom the PC before commencing the command.

Again, any help would be appreciated! smile.gif

Aeklo.
  • aekloaeklo Posts: 20
    edited 2004-10-10 00:01
    A better indexed version of the above documentation (chapters are equal): mywebpages.comcast.net/ncherry/common/protocol.html

Another document describing the specific interface (under chapter 8, it states that the PC must send the unit the current date/time at unit power-up): www.ehem.com/pdf/cm11protocol.pdf

Aeklo.
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-10-10 00:12
    Looks like with the correct connections you can user SEROUT and SERIN at 4800 baud. Should be pretty easy. You may need a level shifter, but with a short cable I'll bet you can get away with it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2004-10-11 18:23
    Jon has it right. The XOUT command is designed to interface with a different X10 unit (whose part number escapes me at the moment), which does not do as much for the computer as the CM11 does. To interface with the CM11, you'll use SERIN and SEROUT. As he says, you may need a MAX232 type RS-232 to TTL level shifter chip -- but probably not.

Measure the voltage coming out of the CM11 'TX' line to the serial connector. If it is -5 to -10 volts, you'll need a 22 Kohm resistor in series to the BS2 to protect the BS2 pin.
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2004-10-11 18:28
    Oh, and I notice that the unit HAS a backup-battery, so perhaps all you'll have to do is set the time once with a PC, then let the CM11 run. Also, I tend to use the "Firecracker" unit to send X10 RF codes to the RF reciever. Works well, takes little power, has a simpler protocol. But it is 'send-only', you can't monitor the X10 state of the power lines with the 'Firecracker' unit.