Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Bigger size eeprom for BS2 — Parallax Forums

Bigger size eeprom for BS2

ionion Posts: 101
edited 2004-10-08 05:06 in BASIC Stamp
I made a stamp 2 from an OEM kit.
My question is if I can use a bigger memory chip then one supplied with the kit.
I would like to store data beyond the 2k boundary and leave the all 2k for the·program.
I do not have a clue how to shiftin text, and I did not found any example on that in the manual, so using a serial eeprom beside the supplied one is impossible. Beside that, the number of variable used for program is almost at the end and I do not have room to create an array.
An example of text which I would like to read from and external eeprom it will look like this:
"^FS^ABN,22,8^FO4,171^FDLWR EATC APPLIQUE-CORONADO APELE^FS^XZ"
Moreover, my headache does not stop here. I want to be able to write to that external eeprom text too. Too much trouble. BS2 does not support I2C so no way to use it.
Any help, directions or portion of code applied to my problem will be greatly appreciated
Thank you
Ion

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-10-08 04:22
    No, you cannot change EEPROMs and address data beyond the 2K barrier.

While the·stock BS2 doesn't have internal I2C commands, it's very easy to add them -- I use I2C components with BS2 modules all the time; it's not difficult at all to do, it just requires a bit of patience. If you do a search, you'll find a bunch of I2C examples that I've uploaded, all of them run on the BS2. I've attached one to this message, it works with a 24LC256 I2C EEPROM.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office

Post Edited (Jon Williams) : 10/8/2004 4:31:24 AM GMT
  • ionion Posts: 101
    edited 2004-10-08 05:06
    Thank You Jon,
    I am reading now exp.32 from Stamp Works.
    It is a good example of what you suggest, even tough does not cover string related subjects. I searched with Google to find examples for literal strings I2CIN or I2COUT, but no luck. So I decided to use a plain BS2 and use WRITE and READ instead, which does the job. I put on the side (for better times) the last 15 BS2PE from Parallax and I went back to my collection of BS2.
    An other annoying thing using BS2 , beside the limited memory, is the limited program space. Your example, or other ( I believe are yours too, looking at the style ) take a big chunk of space and is not enough left for my portion of code.
    Do to my limitations on stamp knoledege or luck of finding the right information, I just bought from Rentron the Flash Lab 77 with the intention to migrate to Pics using Pic Basic Pro.
    Thank you for support. I will experiment tonight on your example.
    Ion