Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to transfer data collected from BS2sx to notebook PC via serial? — Parallax Forums

How to transfer data collected from BS2sx to notebook PC via serial?

SonomanSonoman Posts: 4
edited 2004-09-29 23:19 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all:
I have done some research on this issue without much success. I am collecting data from an accelerometer and then I want to transfer this data to a Notebook PC so I can do some analysis of the data there. I am connecting the notebook to the BS2sx via the serial port on the board of education. On the notebook side there is no serial port so I am using a serial to USB adapter which works well so far. I am really at a loss here because this is the first time that I deal with a Basic Stamp (or a MP for that matter). Please advise.

I have found some options that use Visual Basic to collect the data but the command that collects the data is available only in the professional version and I only have the student version. I also know of a program (found on the parallax site) that uses excel to collect the data, but for me I need something that I program so I can learn how to build something and not just put together. I also found a tutorial that uses qbasic to collect the data but I cannot get that one to work to save my life, but I will keep trying though. Your help on this issue will be greatly appreciated.

Sonoman

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2004-09-29 16:13
    That is easy enough.· Use Hyperterminal and you can capture the data to Excel, where analysis and charting is much easier.· If you con't have Excel the data can be captured to a word processor file of your choice.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Try the Stamp Tester

http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html
    ·
  • SonomanSonoman Posts: 4
    edited 2004-09-29 16:32
    Easy if you know what you are doing, could you please elaborate? I will do some googling on hyperterminal. Thanks.
  • NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2004-09-29 16:35
    You have Hyper on your computer.· Go to Start/Programs/Accessories/Communications/Hyperterminal

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Try the Stamp Tester

http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html
    ·
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-09-29 16:45
    You can even use the DEBUG terminal inside the BASIC Stamp IDE. You can output your data like this:

Run_Report:
    · DEBUG CLS
    · FOR idx = 1 TO readings
    ··· DEBUG DEC idx, ", ", value(idx), CR
    · NEXT
    · RETURN

The idea is that each iteration through the loop "prints" the reading number, a comma and space, followed by the reading value and a CR. Then you can select the output data in the DEBUG window, copy it to the clipboard, paste it into Notepad, then save to a file with a .CSV extension. You can open the CSV file with Excel and go from there.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
    edited 2004-09-29 16:47
    Thanks for the tip, I found quite a bit of info on google. I have to go to class now, but I will post my progress on this issue later...

Sonoman
  • basicstampedebasicstampede Posts: 214
    edited 2004-09-29 19:58
    You can graph it using Stamp Plot Lite which is free from Parallax.
    edited 2004-09-29 23:19
    I was thinking on graphing with GNUPlot, which is also free. But I will check out that Stamp Plot anyway. Thanks for the info.