Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New USB2SER working !! — Parallax Forums

New USB2SER working !!

K de JongK de Jong Posts: 154
edited 2004-09-26 15:09 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all,

I just received my USB2SER Development board and it's really Plug&Play, except for the mini USB B connector. There appear to be more than one type of it having 4 or 6 pins. I found mine at the local camera shop :-).

The USB2SER is now sitting on pins 13 and 14 of my BS2pe datalogger and it works with my·PC application in exactly the same way as the good old RS232 did. But no programming with the USB2SER!

I have some tips:

1 it is working non-inversed but that is not explicitly noticed in the leaflet.

2 the type connector could be communicated better in the leaflet.

3 for this type of development tool a 5 Volt power output would be a real plus. (Al Williams hacked it at first :-).

4 a brief example would be appreciated with such a new product.

Advantages I see now:

I have a USB hub on my desk, so I don't have to dive behind my PC to change cables anymore.

As the USB2SER takes TTL level Tx and Rx there is no need for a Max232 in many cases.

At the end of the designcycle when I roll out my own FTDI application I will definetely power my application from USB !!

To PARALLAX: Flowers from Holland !!!

Regards,

Klaus de Jong

Comments

• K de JongK de Jong Posts: 154
    edited 2004-09-26 15:09
    Hi all,

I send you a picture of my USB2SER USB to serial development board in my experimental·BS2pe datalogger setup. On the right side of the dark red BS2pe there is the USB to serial adapter, on the left is a (modified) serial programming cable.

As the PC is running custom built and dedicated software to display the results of the datalogger I could not RUN the PC software and PROGRAM the BS2pe simultaneously. But with the USB to serial device I can !! The PC software just stops for a few seconds during programming and the goes on again. No crashes anymore :-).

I also can have a debug window open while the PC software is running. That is a big advantage for faster development of the datalogging system :-).

These advantages in my system come because programming and data transfer go over seperated lines now (RS232 and USB).

This USB2SER USB to serial development tool is a nice and handy little thing to have on my desk !!! And it brings some really handy methods to communicate and debug with my Stamp as it uses the TTL level (0-5Volts) for serial communications.

Regards,

Klaus
    924 x 476 - 76K