Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How to program a webcam with BS2!!!!!! — Parallax Forums

How to program a webcam with BS2!!!!!!

yonibearyonibear Posts: 4
edited 2004-09-26 00:29 in Robotics
Hi, everybody!

I made a project with a boe-bot, it was a great succes!!
Now I want to program a webcam with my basic stamp 2 microcontroller!!
The·meaning is that the webcam takes a picture of·a person and·saves it in external memory, under a specific name!
The next time this person appearce infront of the camera, the basic stamp controller should give a warning by sending the picturename to a LCD-screan!!

The difficulty is that the controller can recognise the person!!!

And does there exist a connector from USB to a connector for servomotors, because I want to connect my webcam on the board of education!!

I hope somebody can help me!!

Thanks and greetings from yonibear!!

Comments

• Jonny555Jonny555 Posts: 46
    edited 2004-09-25 17:40
    Facial recognition is a hot topic. I am uncertain and highly doubtfull that the BS can rapidly and acurately perform facial recognition. This task is mainly reserved for a fast PC. It could however be used to monitor such a system or adjust the camera position. You have to analyze the picture, create refference points on the face and extrapolate a value or equation representing the face.
    I say try it and tell us if its possible confused.gif

Jonny

Post Edited (Jonny555) : 9/25/2004 6:02:32 PM GMT
  • Dave PatonDave Paton Posts: 285
    edited 2004-09-26 00:29
    Yoni-

If I read your post correctly, you'll need to have a PC talk to the webcam, detect the motion take the picture, and then send the filename to the BS2. The BS2 doesn't have the horsepower to do the image analysis you need to do motion detection. On top of that, webcams do not speak a simple serial language. Each camera uses a different image capture chip, and requires a specially coded driver that can manage the high speed of the data.

With a simple black-and-white composite output video camera you could make it happen with a hardcoded microcontroller, but I don't think that PBASIC can go fast enough to manage the processing required, even for B&W.

As I recall, the BoE has four servo connections onboard already. Why not use those?

-dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.