Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
how to program a webcam!! — Parallax Forums

how to program a webcam!!

yonibearyonibear Posts: 4
edited 2004-09-28 12:44 in BASIC Stamp
Hi, everybody!

I made a project with a boe-bot, it was a great succes!!
Now I want to program a webcam with my basic stamp 2 microcontroller!!
The·meaning is that the webcam takes a picture of·a person and·saves it in external memory, under a specific name!
The next time this person appearce infront of the camera, the basic stamp controller should give a warning by sending the picturename to a LCD-screan!!

The difficulty is that the controller can recognise the person!!!

And does there exist a connector from USB to a connector for servomotors, because I want to connect my webcam on the board of education!!

I hope somebody can help me!!

Thanks and greetings from yonibear!!

Comments

• OrionOrion Posts: 236
    edited 2004-09-26 14:43
    Your project may be a little much for the basic stamp. First off you need a driver to use the web cam. This is supplied for the computer but is of no use on the bs. How you will get the info you need to just get the web cam talking to the stamp is beyond me. Second if you could get the cam talking to the stamp, comparing pictures that are 640x480 is going to require a ton of code and more than likely going to be very slow if possible. How are you going to handle different backgrounds/facial expressions/lighting than your reference picture? You may want to find a different cam, I thought Parallax made one for the bs but can't seem to find it. This will at least eliminate the driver problem.

Post Edited (Orion) : 9/26/2004 2:47:18 PM GMT
  • JavalinJavalin Posts: 892
    edited 2004-09-28 12:44
    Hi,

Try the Javalin stamp (bit slow even so) and the CU-CM2 camera (www.active-robots.com) link (http://www.active-robots.com/products/accessories/cmucam.shtml)

The CUCM2 camera can do a lot of image processing on board, such as tracking coloured objects, colour histograms etc. You can controll this via a bs2, but you would not be able to process the pictures!

Hope this helps

james