Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
EMIC to Cermetech dialout and voice status — Parallax Forums

EMIC to Cermetech dialout and voice status

steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
edited 2004-09-24 22:35 in BASIC Stamp
Ok, I wasn't sure how to describe what I was after in the subject line....guess that means I'm in trouble already! haha

Anyhow, what I'm after is this:

we have some equipment that we monitor (it's a radar...).· We monitor some things and would like to be informed via phone, of any faults that might occur.

Currently we use a pager system and an old PC w/modem.· The PC has some basic circuitry that it monitors and when things go bad, it dials the pager service and gives it a certain numeric code indicative of the current problem.

The pager system is pretty bad.· It's limited in coverage and the PC is running some old DOS software with some customized C program (the maker of which has long ago retired)....so this system has a finite lifespan nonetheless.

I was looking at using the stamp for doing some of the monitoring (or having a PC to the monitoring and give basic status bits to the stamp.
The stamp would then use an EMIC speach module and a Cermetech modem kit.
The Cermetech has some analog inputs (for voice) and I could connect the Aout of the EMIC to that.

It seems somewhat straightforward....but I don't want to fork out too much $$ if it can't be done (as far as the EMIC to CERMETECH).

I notice the modem is backordered....any word on getting more in Parallax?

Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
·

Steve
http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
http://www.geocities.com/paulsopenstage

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."

Comments

• Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2004-09-23 19:50
    At first glance, I don't see the need for the Cermetek. It's purpose is to modulate binary data fed to it into tones (using FSK, IIRC) or demodulate tones back into binary data. Modulate/demodulate = modem.

It sounds like a simple tone dialer, which can be accomplished with the Stamp, along with an audio input to the phone line should be all that is required of the communications portion of your project.

Or maybe I missed something...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Many are cold...

· but few are frozen...
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2004-09-23 19:58
    Will the stamp do DTMF?· I mean, I need to dial a number....so assumed I needed the cermetech modem IC/module.· The modem is handy enough that it includes analog inputs for voice....so it seems rather straightforward....without having to tinker with external circuitry.

If I didn't use the modem IC...how would I get voice on to the phone line.· And hacking a telephone isn't an option.· I'd like this to be a somewhat compact/self-contained box.·

But I supposed there's many ways to skin the preverbial cat!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-09-23 20:02
    You'd need a DAA (that is approved by the FCC) -- the modem is a handy way to get that in a nice neat package. You can "roll your own" and let the BASIC Stamp handle the DTMF tones (see the DTMFOUT instruction), but you're in danger of fines if you get caught connecting a non-approved device to the telephone company's copper....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • AllanL5AllanL5 Posts: 12
    edited 2004-09-24 18:32
    I would expect the CERMETEK would do the dialing, and could easily send the pager codes. The voice interface is more problematic -- I don't think the CERMETEK module sold by Parallax has a voice interface.

However, having dialed a cell-phone, I believe the CERMETEK could leave a text message to be displayed to the user.

And, with the CERMETEK module, you get the commercial DAA and license.

By the way, you can do this with ANY RS-232 connected Modem, you know. The BS2 can stand in for the PC, in that case.
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2004-09-24 18:53
    AllanL5:

the current system we are using is a pager system....I know it'd be no big deal to have the stamp issue modem commands and such to give us indications on a pager as to what's going on.
    But we were looking at a way to get rid of these pagers and go with something that could dial us and "tell us".
    The Cermetek has TxA and Rxa which, as I've read, are analog I/O's.· Being that it's a modem module, I could only assume that it doubles for Voice or Data and this is the voice inputs.

I don't have the datasheet available atm but am pretty sure I read as much.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve

edited 2004-09-24 19:36
    Just like with a paging system, you would want to dial the phone (via the modem) and leave it in command mode -- this is how you're able to inject DTMF tones (via the mode) into the paging system. It would seem to me that you could do the same:

1) Dial system -- leave in command mode.
    2) Wait for system to answer (you could monitor RXA) and get ready
    3) Send your audio message via TXA.
    4) Hang up

The Parallax modem AppMod uses the CH1786, but does not have the RXA and TXA pins brought out to headers -- you'll have to do a bit of [noparse][[/noparse]warranty voiding] surgery.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Dallas Office
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2004-09-24 22:07
    I have just the solution that you are looking for, but it may be frowned upon since it is not Basic Stamp related.· Take a look at a company by the name of Sensaphone, at www.sensaphone.com .· They make many models of monitoring equipment that do exactly what you're looking for and more.· You can monitor nearly any type of signal you can think of and program all of the alarm parameters too - if conditions fall outside of those parameters, the system will call any one of a list of numbers.· Not only that, but you can call the system anytime to get feedback on anything you are monitoring as well.

Hope that helps, and I hope I haven't offended any Stampers,

Tim
    edited 2004-09-24 22:35
    Come on, Tim, how much fun could an off-the-shelf product be?....tongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Dallas Office