Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Same port for programing and display — Parallax Forums

Same port for programing and display

ionion Posts: 101
edited 2004-09-19 14:47 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
I use a bs2pe24 on one of my projects with a serial lcd display from seetron.
On my aplication i run out of pins and instead to use an expander (new pcb, more code and headecs) i read in the help file ( tip of the day) that the programing port of the stamp can be used like any other serial port with the address at pin 16. Let asume , that i want to use it for my display and get back that most wanted extra pin for an other output. How I can program the stamp on the same port when i do changes during develpment.
I know that i have to remove the display and conect the programing cable, but from the software point of view, the display is updated for every loop of the program , so it will want to transmit to my pc data and it will not listen to the incoming program. To use an extra input to put the stamp in stop mode, will defeat the purpose.
Can anybody help me on that?
Thank you
Ion

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-09-19 04:24
    When the editor wants to reprogram your BASIC Stamp it resets the Stamp (via the ATN line), stopping the current program. I've never tried to connect a serial LCD to the programming port, but I suppose it could be done. Just remember that the programming port gets inverted, so you'll have to change your code that addresses the LCD to deal with that. Also, phsycial pin 1 on the module is the SOUT pin that you would use.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • ionion Posts: 101
    edited 2004-09-19 05:35
    Thanks Jon.
    I will try it, and follow your recommendations.
    Do you ever sleep?
    Ion
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-09-19 14:47
    Not much....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office