Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GUIBot Sofware — Parallax Forums

GUIBot Sofware

Randy StadhamRandy Stadham Posts: 17
edited 2006-07-27 00:27 in Robotics
Hi,

I have a BOE Bot and am using the GUI Bot software. The bot takes the comands left right forward and all but will not move any more distance than about 12 inches. I have tried to increse the time but the distance traveled does not change.

One note I have no sensors installed on the bot.· Not whiskers or IR.·Would that make a difference? In the manuel it·says that I must have one or both conected can I just put resisters on those open pins and will that take care of it? If so what size resistors should I use?

I am trying to use this with some elementary kids so any help would be welcome.

Thanks in Advance,

Randy

Comments

• edited 2004-09-17 16:49
    Hello Randy,

You do have to put the sensors (BOTH whiskers and IR) on the Boe-Bot.· This is a bit of a wiring challenge ;-)

There are two modes, you didn't mention which you were using, Beginner or Advanced.

In Begineer mode the robot is "auto-sensing".· While in Beginner Mode, the robot will perform your action list and will automatically try to avoid obstacles.· If you tell it to go forward 10 seconds, if there is something in the way, then it will automatially veer away to avoid the obstacle.· Since you do not have the sensors, maybe it thinks there is something there?· Perhaps this is the problem.

In advanced mode, the Boe-Bot will do nothing when obstacles are detected unless you have programmed it to do something.· So, try using advanced mode, perhaps that will work better?

I haven't actually tried it myself and the last time I used GUI-Bot was a long time ago... so let us know whether it works.

Kris Magri

Parallax, Inc.
  • Randy StadhamRandy Stadham Posts: 17
    edited 2004-09-17 23:29
    Kris,

I am using beginner mode. But nothing is in the way of the bot. I have a large city map on the floor and the students are to travel around the city following the roads so there are no objects to get in the way.

Unless there are no other ideas I might have to wire up one or both of the sensors. I was just trying to avoid that as I have been very busy.

Thanks for your reply,

Randy
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Posts: 24
    edited 2006-07-26 18:22
    What's a GUI-bot? confused.gif

Is it a software or a robot?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DrkCrwlr
  • AImanAIman Posts: 531
    edited 2006-07-26 18:34
    I have an Arobot that I couldn't get to travel becuase the modified program didn't loop correctly. My question is are you running a loop that counts? If so is your count completed? The other question is how do you loop? Are you saying For A = 1 to 100 or are you saying Do Until or Do While?
    if you are having distance issues you may want to consider using a Do While sensor = 0 or Do until direction changes.
  • dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2006-07-26 22:54
    DarkCrawler said...

What's a GUI-bot? confused.gif

Is it a software or a robot?

The GUI software is designed for the Boe-Bot and can be downloaded from this link for free under "Additional Software":· http://www.parallax.com/html_pages/downloads/software/software_basic_stamp.asp·.·

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Tech Support
    dandreae@parallax.com
    Http://www.parallax.com

·
  • DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Posts: 24
    edited 2006-07-27 00:27
    Oh.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DrkCrwlr