Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Triac & Solid State Relays — Parallax Forums

Triac & Solid State Relays

CPUMANCPUMAN Posts: 55
edited 2004-09-14 23:47 in BASIC Stamp
Ok I have multiple questions. So here goes...

1.· Triac vs SSR? Why use one over the other? Pros & Cons?

2.· Can SSR's take the abuse of frequent switching? Says rates of once per second or maybe even once per half a second? What about Triac's?

3.· The most important question is how would I interface either device to a stamp?
I've seem some circuits with Triac's that use a...
Output ---> Optical Isolator ---> Transistor ---> Triac
connection scheme.· Would this be the best way to connect a triac?

I know SSR's are already optically isolated so driving one with a stamp is like driving·an LED, but do you still recommend I use a transistor?

... and so ends the million questions... ok not quite but there's plenty [noparse]:)[/noparse] If your wonder what I'm building, it's a light controller that will control 110V AC lights that are up to 100 Watts (though most likely will be 50 Watts or less), so if you can recommend parts appropriate for this feel free!·Think of a string of chasing xmas lights to get an idea of what I'm doing.

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Chris

Comments

• K de JongK de Jong Posts: 154
    edited 2004-09-14 23:47
    Hi Chris,

Do you want only switch on and off the lights or would you like the lamps go on and off slowly?

If it's only on and off you could buy an SSR and a Triac and find the best solution for your project idea by doing some experimentation smile.gif.

Regards and have fun,

Klaus