Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Wireless internet — Parallax Forums

Wireless internet

trendtrend Posts: 112
edited 2004-09-15 22:39 in BASIC Stamp
I am looking to develop a data acquiring device, that will need to get online once or twice an hour for 8-10 hours a day.· It will only need to stay online for 5-10seconds to communicate with my server over the internet.· I was thinking about hooking this computer up to a cell phone and getting·the "data package", but this looks like it would cost me atleast 70$ a month (not even sure if i would go over my minutes..· 10seconds = 1 full minute according to verizon/cingular/etc [noparse]:([/noparse] )

Do anyone have any suggestions?· I have seen a lot of you'll using rs232 wireless modems.. I would also LOVE to be able to txt msg me when certain events happen...

Do you'll have any suggestions?

thanks-Lee

Comments

• trendtrend Posts: 112
    edited 2004-09-12 03:55
    And no, I will not have a wireless access point to communicate with it, nor could I just use a point to point connection.. as this will be ~15 miles away.

thanks in advance for any help [noparse]:)[/noparse]

·
  • kb2hapkb2hap Posts: 218
    edited 2004-09-12 13:35
    You could try a product from Abcom Technologies. Its an rs-232 device that with a directional antenna can tranceive about 20 miles at either 9600 baud or 19.2 kbaud they are slightly expensive I think there about $250 each and you obviously need 2. I did a project with these that I needed for a long range and these were about the only thing I could find on the net with the distance and ease of use.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ
    edited 2004-09-13 10:28
    Yeah.. I thought about just getting a high powered device like that.. but I guess I was really thinking more like cell phone or something like it.. hmm.. which kinda answers my question.. and raises another.. Anyone use cellular phones to log data over the internet to a server?

What would be the cheapest company to go with assuming coverage is all all the same?

·
    edited 2004-09-15 01:12
    but if i was: http://www.maxstream.net/

provides a 40mile range (line of sight) at 1watt power output
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2004-09-15 11:07
    I've used some radio modems from Dataradio (Integra-TR was the model).
    They worked pretty good....were sturdy enough and in a nice package but $$.
    Need a Yagi Antenna (directional with gain) to get some good distance.

I both setups we didn't have it much more than 2km away but worked nice.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    http://www.geocities.com/paulsopenstage

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."

• kb2hapkb2hap Posts: 218
    edited 2004-09-15 22:39
    www.abacom-tech.com

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DTQ