Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Midi recording — Parallax Forums

Midi recording

Mag748Mag748 Posts: 263
edited 2004-09-04 13:33 in BASIC Stamp
Hello. I just read the 2 Nuts and Volts articles about the MIDI interface and a MIDI keyboard and thought it was really cool. I made an 8 button keyboard and was amazed that it was actually able to play out on the really MIDI keyboard. Really cool.

Anyway, what I wanted to ask is, How would I program the Basic stamp to record the MIDI signals sent from the keyboard onto the EEPROM and then be able to play it back. It seems that this would be difficult. Hope you can help.

Also, since the MIDI interface is so easily used with the Stamp, how about DMX?? To control lights/lighting boards/ and other DMX interface things. Thanks in advance,
Marcus

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-09-04 13:33
    So long as you aren't looking to record in real-time, you could monitor your keypad and when a key is detected, write it to an EEPROM. When that key is released, then you go back to looking for another. You might need an extra input that is record versus play mode. In play mode you would read the EEPROM and send the appropriate MIDI commands for the key. You could attach an external Pot and use RCTIME to control the speed. Also, when in record mode you'd want to keep track of the number of keys you recorded so that play mode would know when to stop or loop back to the beginning of the sequence.

I believe DMX uses 250 kBaud -- to fast for a BASIC Stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office