Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stamp Stack — Parallax Forums

Stamp Stack

silmesilme Posts: 2
edited 2004-09-13 10:12 in BASIC Stamp
Hey everyone! I'm new to the wonderful world of basic stamps (and electronics for that matter). I was searching the internet when I came across this: http://www.hvwtech.com/pages/products_view.asp?ProductID=13.
It's a "builld it yourself" stamp version 2sx, and I was wondering what you think about it. It looks like a neat kit, but I just want to know if others have had experience with it or what others think of it before I even think about doing anything. It's cheaper than the "real" version, but it's also bigger.

Thanks!
Mike

Comments

• steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2004-08-28 23:50
    Haven't used one, but I'm guessing they're just like the regular Basic stamps minus the nice low area form factor.

Looks like the same number of pins and all....just not in a small tidy package (hence the claim that they're great for prototyping!).

Still a great way to get started.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    http://www.geocities.com/paulsopenstage

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."

• manxstampmanxstamp Posts: 57
    edited 2004-08-30 14:18
    In addition to many standard Parallax stamps, I have collected some alternative Stamp·versions, including·two Stamp Stacks - the normal BS2 and the SX version. They are easy to build as long as you can solder PCBs·with care (and fine solder). They come with very detailed instructions.·The resulting Stamp Stacks work as normal stamps of the same type. They have the DB9 serial port built in to the board, so are easy to connect up, and their large size and pin layout fits well on a breadboard with their power pins fitting in the two power strips. HVW, a Canadian company, also make a useful protoboard specifically for the Stacks and a small regulated 5V·power supply·PCB·to fit the breadboard they supply, and thus power the Stack and your associated project. One good feature when breadboarding·is the Stack's·reverse-polarity protection with a·bi-colour LED which shows if you have reversed the power supply·by turning red.·These are all kits, easy and fun to build, and I have had no problems using them with all standard programs.

Their larger size would not suit miniaturised projects but they are great for learning and larger robotics applications (see HVW's 'twin-bot') although I haven't used them yet for the latter. I can recommend them as an addition to your Stamp collection, especially for the breadboard experimenter.

John

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Manxstamp,
    Isle of Man, British Isles
  • Armored CarsArmored Cars Posts: 172
    edited 2004-08-30 17:48
    It basically the same thing as the OEM kit Parallax offers.
  • silmesilme Posts: 2
    edited 2004-09-01 13:21
    Thanks everyone!
    Mike
  • Bill WrightBill Wright Posts: 3
    edited 2004-09-13 10:12
    I have used them with third year students and personally. Nothing but good things to say. Mark at HVW has re-written the manuals to eliminate any problem areas. They work so well I hope to order class sets.
    Bill