Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cant get my speech board to work! — Parallax Forums

Cant get my speech board to work!

jakjrjakjr Posts: 88
edited 2004-09-01 19:27 in Robotics
My BOE-bot speech board came in today and I just cant get the darn thing to work properly mad.gif .

Not to be rude, but the documentation that comes with it sucks. It doesnt even say how to hook it up to the PC, I mean do I use the serial port on my BOE-board or the one on the speech board? What about the 1/8" jack on it? It says "record in" next to it but the documentation does even say anything about that jack.

I got the diaphone chipset to go along with it and using its program I can get it to work fine, However·I cant get anything out of the stock chipset.

I have tried the programs that are in the documentation and although they seem to run just fine when I tell it to play a sound it doesnt do sqaut. I know it shouldnt be anything wrong with the board though because it works just fine with the diaphone chipset.

When I use the QV300s2 software it only shows like 5 sound files, is this normal? Do I need to download the other 215 or what? ·When I try to play one of those 5 files the speech board just makes a faint static sound. And as for the software, where is some documentation for it? I couldnt find anything·for it, not even a help file.

Anyways·if anyone can helpo me with this thing please do, also is their any kind of documentation for it other than what comes with it?

Post Edited (jakjr) : 8/27/2004 3:16:44 AM GMT

Comments

• jakjrjakjr Posts: 88
    edited 2004-08-27 04:26
    Anybody?
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2004-08-27 14:09
    I myself haven't used this particular board, but just to address one common possibility, are you sure the baud-rate settings you're using are correct for the stamp model you're using?· I've seen in the Group in the past where someone was running code intended for a BS2 on a BS2SX or BS2P without changing the appropriate timing constants.

I know you said it worked with the other chipset, but since it's different code, I thought maybe it had conditional compiling or something.· Just a thought.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777

Business Page:·· http://www.knightdesigns.com
    Personal Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/chris
    ·
  • Kenny GardnerKenny Gardner Posts: 169
    edited 2004-08-27 21:54
    I have several Speech Boards.

It sounds like you accidently overwrote the pre-programmed sounds. If that is the case, you'll need to re-program the chip (that's what the DB9 connector is used for).

The Line In jack is how you get the sounds from your PC to the ChipCorder.

Kenny

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --

Kenny Gardner
    GAP Development Company
    http://www.gapdev.com/
    ·
    edited 2004-08-28 02:39
    Thanks for the help, Im pretty sure I accidently overwrote the preprogrammed sounds.

I e-mailed tech. support last night and they (aslo) said I needed to also connect it to my sound card.

Ill still have to get me a cable to do it though, guess ill pick it up tommorow at fry's.
  • Kenny GardnerKenny Gardner Posts: 169
    edited 2004-08-28 21:59
    It's very easy to overwrite the pre-programmed sounds. Too easy, in fact smilewinkgrin.gif

I didn't like the stock sounds and have replaced the sounds on all my Speech Boards, so accidently erasing them was no big deal for me.

The QV300S2 program shows what it "thinks" are the sounds on the board, but it doesn't know that you've erased them so it tries to play them anyway.

I spent a lot of time·creating "real" robot voices (what I think a robot should sound like as opposed to that boring voice that comes pre-programmed). I'll post the sounds for download on my Web Site in a few days. The sounds have their corresponding constants for the Stamp's code.

Kenny

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --

Kenny Gardner
    GAP Development Company
    http://www.gapdev.com/
    ·
    edited 2004-09-01 19:27
    Got my cable (finally!) and it works just fine.

Only thing I've noticed is the appmodd extender thing is a little short, it will "work" but you have to postiton in just right otherwise it is just to short or the connection is shotty. No big deal though, Ill fix it somehow, maybe grind the standoffs a little shorter.