Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Matrix Orbital LK162-12 — Parallax Forums

Matrix Orbital LK162-12

Gerry ShandGerry Shand Posts: 45
edited 2004-08-27 12:02 in BASIC Stamp
Hi Folks:

Does anyone here have any experience with downloading code into these LCD displays using the I2COUT command from the BS2P?

This should be simple and straightforward, yet I am missing something. The following program is what I came up with to clear the screen and it does not work:

' {$STAMP BS2p}
' {$PBASIC 2.5}
'Define pins
MAINIO······ 'P0-P15
sda PIN 13
scl PIN 14

PAUSE 100········· 'Wait for things to settle down

Main:
MAINIO
I2COUT sda, $0, 0, [noparse][[/noparse]HEX 254]
I2COUT sda, $0, 0, [noparse][[/noparse]HEX 88] ' clear display
GOTO main

Any advice other than to try a display that would just accept a SEROUT command?

Thanks and regards,

Gerry Shand

Comments

• NewzedNewzed Posts: 2,503
    edited 2004-08-24 20:22
    If I am not mistaken, by definition SDA and SCL must be pins 0 and 1 or 8 and 9.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Pluggable Serial Backpack

http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html
    ·
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2004-08-24 20:43
    Sid,

Yes, you are correct.... In the latest manual on page 143 you will see
    an I/O pin arrangement definition in Table 5.19 (I2COUT Quick Facts)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe - Mask Designer II

National Semiconductor Corporation
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071
    edited 2004-08-24 20:48
    Gerry, my new serial backpack will accept just serout commands - no LCD formatting.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Sid Weaver
    Pluggable Serial Backpack

http://hometown.aol.com/newzed/index.html
    ·
    edited 2004-08-24 20:55
    I just have to post this.

For Jon

The following was received from a customer of mine, Dr. John Wardle,
    Noble's Hospital, Isle of Man, UK:

I read all the forums, at least the good posts (and sometimes the weird stuff from strange youngsters who don’t seem to have a clue, but are amazingly politely handled – Jon Williams must have the patience of a Saint).

Sid

·
  • ionion Posts: 101
    edited 2004-08-27 01:56
    Sid,
    He is perfectly right. One Friday afternoon, maybe six month ago when I was completely new at stamps I put a question on Yahoo. He did answer to it, but because I did not understand the answer, Jon sent me some direct emails until late in the night (very late).
    I felt embarrassed for such late hours so I suggest him to stop and eventually to continue Monday if necessary. Next morning, Saturday, I found an email from Jon, sent at 3 AM with a solution to my questions. I replied to thank you, but a question develops an other one, and he suggests me to call me to talk on the phone faster then email. He did call from Dallas to Toronto and we spent maybe an hour or so on the phone. Jon insisted to make sure that I understood the concepts and program before he did hang up. I do not have other terms to compare his devotion to help peoples the maybe Mother Theresa, Indira Gandhi, or Martin Luther King (history it was never my strong subject).
    I have all the respect for him, and the way how he treats peoples like us which from time to time put questions with an obvious answer ( if we read the manual).
    Ion
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-08-27 12:02
    Okay, Ion, you're being far too kind and those three saints just rolled over in their graves.... All of us at Parallax enjoy working with our customers and will do what we can to help out.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office