Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Heat. — Parallax Forums

Heat.

Andy BAndy B Posts: 17
edited 2009-04-19 04:49 in BASIC Stamp
Hi there i am new to the Stamp, i just bought a Stamp2SX and Board of Education second hand.
It works fine when i connect to my PC and it recognises the chip, My Question is when i connect a 9V batterie to it the stamp seems to get a bit Hot! is this normal? or should i use some sort of heat sink?

many thanx blush.gif

Comments

• Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2004-08-22 23:32

Not to be stupid, but describe Hot, like the voltage regulator on the BOE or the Stamp itself? Look for any user modifications on the BOE or the Stamp, if you bought it used, you may need to go to the Parallax site and download the docs and correct any previous user modifications if there are any.

I use a BS2p24 on a board that I built from the schematic from the Parallax site. I used the parts as called out in the schematic diagram, the regulator gets warm (warmer than body temp but holding it won't burn me) also the BS2p24 gets a little warm but not enough to be concerned about. If yours is getting to hot to touch where it is painful after a few seconds, (A) your a wimp! wink.gif or (B) there's something wrong with the BOE or the Stamp!

Mike

Post Edited (Mike Cook) : 8/22/2004 11:49:06 PM GMT
  • Andy BAndy B Posts: 17
    edited 2004-08-22 23:47
    Thanx mike.
    the BOE has had no modifications neither has the Stamp

The stamp itself gets hot with a 9V battery, i just read that·the Stamp·has a onboard regulator so it could be that huh?

Its Hot as in hot to the touch, and keeping finger on it for a while you feel it.

Its not the regulator on the BOE.

thanx
    edited 2004-08-22 23:52
    I've got my BS2p24 running right now, give me a few and I'll mesaure it's temp (STAMP CHIP)

Mike
    edited 2004-08-23 00:04

I just measured my stamp (bs2p24) running a menu program, and a couple of LED's and Mr. Fluke (Thermocouple probe) said it was 82 degrees Fahrenheit, felt hotter to me via my finger!

Mike

edited 2004-08-23 00:11
    Ok mike thankyou for you help
    I will keep an eye on it, it hard to test if its working properly at the moment as i only just bought the Stamp and BOE yesterday, as yet i do not have any servos or anything to connect to it so i can do a short code to test it.

Once again thank you
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,662
    edited 2004-08-23 00:13
    This is normal for a BS2sx. It is clocked at 50mhz and draws 65 mA in operation. At 5 volts, that is 0.325 watt, enough to make it noticably hot. On the BOE, it is powered from the big regulator, but if you power the BS2sx from its on-board regulator (LT1121), that regulator will get quite hot too when Vin is 9 volts.

The BS2p is a bit faster that the BS2sx in operation, but since it operates in turbo mode with a 20hz xtal, it draws less current, 40mA, 0.2 watt, so it does not get as hot.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2004-08-23 00:28
    well thats a relief tracy,
    Thank you for the info, puts my mind at rest.

Is there a small circuit and code i can use to test with LED's etc?
    Just want to make sure this actually works else i will have to try and get money back.

Thanks again
  • KenMKenM Posts: 657
    edited 2004-08-23 01:09
    To verify all outputs work you can use the circuit attached.
    Andy B said...
    well thats a relief tracy,
    Thank you for the info, puts my mind at rest.

Is there a small circuit and code i can use to test with LED's etc?
    Just want to make sure this actually works else i will have to try and get money back.

Thanks again
    1090 x 788 - 45K
    edited 2004-08-23 01:12
    It should go without saying.......move the led-resistor arrangement to pin 20 to test pin 15. Change High 15 to high 14 to test pin 14
    edited 2004-08-23 01:21
    Andy, there is quite a long thread developing in the "sandbox" about a tester for Stamp pin functionality..

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=465929

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
    edited 2004-08-23 01:54
    Personally, I think the stamp tester is a good idea if you continuously manufacture some device using a Stamp.

However, I cannot see spending any $$ for such a device for the hobbyist.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Ken
    Tracy Allen said...
    Andy, there is quite a long thread developing in the "sandbox" about a tester for Stamp pin functionality..

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=465929

edited 2004-08-23 03:02
    Well, Sid started the tread because he was planning to sell a tester, and he still is I think. But if you don't want to buy if from him you can always DIY. The thread developed to explore the question, what is the most effective tester? You could make one with LEDs, but just because a pin can go high to turn on an LED does not mean, necessarily, that it can go low to turn on an LED, or that it can function as an input. The tester, to be most useful, should check all of those conditions. That was the gist of the tread. I think it could be a useful device for a hobbiest too. I don't know about $$, but maybe $ or DIY? Why bang your head against the wall if there is a possibility that, say, a slipped alligator clip managed to fry a pin?!

I use a tester like that on my OEM boards, but the board also has pins dedicated to things like the ADC and RTC etc. that have to be tested for functionality each in their own way.
    KenM said...
    Personally, I think the stamp tester is a good idea if you continuously manufacture some device using a Stamp.

Just my 0.02 cents.

Ken
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2004-08-23 15:43
    KenM said...
    Just my 0.02 cents.
    Ken

Ken,

·· For alot of people on here, buying one of Sid's testers may not be something they want to do.· But from the sheer amount of posts from Newbies who aren't sure if they cooked their BS2 plugging it directly into a relay, or something, it might just be the ticket...Besides, I don't think he's asking alot for them.· Of course, I built my own...And that was before he posted them, but many people that use BS2s cannot.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Knight Designs
    324 West Main Street
    P.O. Box 97
    Montour Falls, NY 14865
    (607) 535-6777

Business Page:·· http://www.knightdesigns.com
    Personal Page:··· http://www.lightlink.com/dream/chris
    ·
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2004-08-23 17:19
    I see we're getting a little off topic....

with resect to the original thread...· If you put 9Vdc to the Vin pin on the stamp, I was under the impression that this was BAD.
    I thought the Vin pin was reserved for 5Vdc only.· And that anything greater was to go through the regulator....or is this different on the BS2p's?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    http://www.geocities.com/paulsopenstage

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2004-08-23 17:25
    Steve,

9V to the VIN(24) pin would fine, however 9V to the VDD(21) pin would be very bad.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe Mask Designer II

National Semiconductor Corporation
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2004-08-23 19:54
    Thanks Beau,

I'm always forgetting that the stamps has an on board regulator.· What are it's limitations?· What voltage does it top out at before we let out the smoke!?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    http://www.geocities.com/paulsopenstage

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."

edited 2004-08-24 03:29
    With Respect to my Post HEAT.

I connected a Duracell PP3 9V battery to the connectors that is all.
    the chip gets Very hot.

Infact i tried this :-

' HIGH_LOW.BS2
    ' This simple program sets I/O pin 0 high for 1/2 second and low for
    ' 1/2 second in an endless loop. Connect an LED to P0 for a simple
    ' blinker.

' {$STAMP BS2sx}

Main:
    HIGH 0
    PAUSE 500
    LOW 0
    PAUSE 500
    GOTO Main
    END

it downloaded ok ran the program and the little LED flashed for about 5 seconds, then stopped
    the chip was so hot, i unplugged the battery.Waited abit and reconnected, No flashy light !!!!!!!

I reconnected to the serial cable COM1 and it recognised the stamp, tokenized it ok but when it went to download said Hardware failure..?

I am sooooooooo STRESSED !!!!!!
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,559
    edited 2004-08-24 04:18
    Andy,

Do you by chance have a current limiting resistor on your LED? If not your stamp will get hot and possibly damaged.

If the above is true, I would more than likely try another pin and/or another LED as the LED could also have self destructed.

Using the following formula and a typical LED with forward voltage of 1.8V and a current rating of 10mA...

Rvalue = ( VSource - VLED ) / ILED

Rvalue = (5V - 1.8V) / .010 = 320 Ohms

...The closest standard Rvalue to this would be at least using a 330 Ohm resistor.

330 LED
    Stamp Pin >
    /\/\
    >|
    < GND

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe Mask Designer II

National Semiconductor Corporation
    (Communication Interface Division)
    500 Pinnacle Court, Suite 525
    Mail Stop GA1
    Norcross,GA 30071
  • h3n7yh3n7y Posts: 11
    edited 2009-04-19 04:49
    I have a PWMPAL connected to the Supercarier board and the Basicstamp connected to the PWMPAL, wich is used to control a dc motor L298 the BS2 got very hot and it the computer couldn't detect the BS2, is that suppose to happen, I assume the heat sink on the board will prevent the stamp from getting hot cuz of the return current from the motor, or I was wrong and I have to install a transistor between the pwmpal and the motor?