Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
stepper motor — Parallax Forums

stepper motor

yzcheyzche Posts: 35
edited 2004-08-18 21:12 in BASIC Stamp
my 5V stepper motor heat up when it is working. Is it normal for a stepper motor to get hot?

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-08-18 18:32
    I've notice that mine get very warm too -- always have for as long as I've been experimenting with steppers. Make sure that your coil voltage matches what the motor is expecting; if you goose it with a higher voltage you'll definitely get more heat than normal.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • WhelzornWhelzorn Posts: 256
    edited 2004-08-18 18:38
    same with me, I always buy circular heat sinks to wrap around steppers so they dont overheat anything around them.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2004-08-18 18:52
    Some control systems can adjust the current going to the motor. The faster the motor has to turn, or the more load, the more current is needed to avoid missed pulses. When the motor is stationary the current can be lowered also.

This will lower the heat and the current consumption.

I'm not sure if you could PWM the outputs ? I never tried it.

Terry
  • ChipCircuitChipCircuit Posts: 23
    edited 2004-08-18 21:12
    Check your watts.

stepper motors are not fan cooled so do not shed heat under normal condtions.

Most stepper motors are rated for something like 180 deg C.·

so, if my math is right.· 180 deg C time 9 - 1,620 divide by 5 = 324 + 32 for a normal operatin temp of....·· waaaaaat· ?

Think my math is off.·

op's that was 180 deg F·· Many steppers are rated for 180 deg F

or in normal terms HOT !

If you can, check the data sheets on steppers.· if it bothers you, get a CPU cooler fan and cool it.

When not used, shut the power off if you can.

Dave