Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Want a new microcontroller, but don't know which one. — Parallax Forums

Want a new microcontroller, but don't know which one.

Velvet LeopardVelvet Leopard Posts: 47
edited 2004-08-20 05:01 in BASIC Stamp
Hewwo, all.· I have come to the decsion to purchase another microcontroller, or more, to further my experience with them.· My problem is the huge amount of choices.· I have heard some things about comparing them like I would rather have a straight SX rather than a BS2SX for it's speed and I would rather have this one over that one because of size of memory or something.· Is there a site for these kinds of comparison shopping?· Can anyone out there give me some good choices to think on?· I am not too concern with speed of execution as long as the controller can be exact and meticulate in it's functions.· I would love to have a controller that can measure very short times and and have plenty of I/Os.· Thanks plenty.·

····· I forgot to ask.· Can the BS2 be overclocked?· And to what limits can this be?

Comments

• frasencifrasenci Posts: 34
    edited 2004-08-18 17:42
  • KenMKenM Posts: 657
    edited 2004-08-20 03:28
    I use BS2's and the straight SX.

The BS2 series are superior to the straight SX for ease of use, that is the ability to write a program for it. PBasic is intuitive and pretty easy to pick up.

The straight SX on the other hand is not nearly as easy to program as the BS2, but as you mentioned, much faster.

For example, you can measure pulse widths with the SX with far greater resolution than a BS2. The SX has interupts (interupt the main program and run an important task based on some input).
    The SX can detect edges rising or falling, while·a BS2 cannot do the same.

The SX with the SX key (~$90) can single step through your program one line at a time, a BS2 cannot (yet?)

An SX costs about $4.00, and a·BS2 about $50.

One example of programming differences.....to get a 500ms pause with a BS2 you write

pause 500,

to do the same with an SX.....

Del 0_5 Sec:············································· ;24999987 cycles·············· mov········· w, #$70·············· mov········· d1, w·············· mov········· w, #$2A·············· mov········· d2, w·············· mov········· w, #$27·············· mov········· d3, wDel 0_5 Sec_0:·············· decsz······ d1·············· jmp········· $+2·············· decsz······ d2·············· jmp········· $+2·············· decsz······ d3·············· jmp········· Del 0_5 Sec_0·············································· ;7 cycles·············· jmp········· $+1·············· jmp········· $+1·············· nop·············································· ;6 cycles (including call)·············· ret
  • Velvet LeopardVelvet Leopard Posts: 47
    edited 2004-08-20 05:01
    WOW! That is a big difference in programming ease.· I guess I would stick to the stamp for now.· Thanks for the info.·