Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Photo transistors versus Photo resistors — Parallax Forums

Photo transistors versus Photo resistors

LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
edited 2004-08-12 22:27 in BASIC Stamp
Can anyone contributed information on the pros and cons of using phototransistors versus photoresistors.

Though the Cadium Sulfide Photoresistors are provided, I read somewhere that they are slow.
Are they ever too slow for a photovoire application or are they just to slow for information transmission (such as fiber optics)?

Also, is it a problem to get a 'matched pair' for left and right sensing?· Which is best or easier for matching?

And, finally to either have an particularlly unusual, but useful application attributes?

Thankx in advance

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
G. Herzog in Taiwan

Comments

• Tom WalkerTom Walker Posts: 509
    edited 2004-08-12 19:06
    I've found that a good book for learning some of the more basic aspects of building robots, including some good reading on using CD photocells, is "Robot Building for Beginners" by David Cook. It and the followup "Intermediate Robot Building" present good "real-world" concepts in an easy-to-understand style.

Ths short answer is that, in most cases, putting potentiometers in series with both photoresistors will allow you to balance them yourself.

Hope this helps.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I used to be different, but now I'm the same...
  • WhelzornWhelzorn Posts: 256
    edited 2004-08-12 22:27
    if you are going to use the photoresistors for photovores, they are perfectly fine, in fact they are probably better if you care about accuracy and whatnot. Also, photoresistors are easier to interface to the basic stamp, either 1 or 2. Also, I have not had a problem with data transmission with these things, though i was only doing one pulse every 300 Ms. Anyway, I dont know mych about phototransistors, because stores here in new england rarely carry them.