Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2p to receive data and using that data to turn off the Car? Possible? — Parallax Forums

BS2p to receive data and using that data to turn off the Car? Possible?

ice-egozice-egoz Posts: 55
edited 2004-08-07 21:11 in BASIC Stamp
The BS2p to receive an SMS back and using that SMS to turn off the·Car.
SO I bet the sender is the original receiver(of SMS). Is the BS2p able to receive the SMS (probably receives in BASIC language?)?
Whatever the BS2p receives is in BASIC language? Gets AT commands?
In the reply SMS--> {AT+ CMGR=1}//reads message
Lets say the message has "Shutdown".
The BS2p gets "Shutdown". Possible? Using the data, can set the car to LOW? so it is possible to shut down the car?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
I need all ya guidance Masters. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2004-08-05 07:10
    You're asking if you coupld use a BS2P and a GSM phone to switch off the motor of a car?

Yes, it's possible.
    You'll need a phone with a serial cable, and most probably a 'null-modem cable' to connect it to the BS2P.

Then you need to add a relay to the car's electric system.
    I would use an 'normally connected' relay on the low-voltage wire to the coil.
    Then the BS2P only needs to activate the relay, the pulses stops coming to the coil, and the engine dies.

This way, the starter motor will still work, and most other systems will seem to be OK, too.

If it's supposed to be some sort of 'anti-theft' system, try pulsing the relay for longer and longer periods, and it should seem like the engine is malfunctioning.

The biggest problem with this system will be to receive and read the SMS message, but I believe others have managed to get their BS2's to communicate with phones.
    (I haven't tried myself, yet)
  • ice-egozice-egoz Posts: 55
    edited 2004-08-06 01:26
    Hi, So which means the Car is just 'stalling' for the amt of·period we specify but then nothing is wrong with it ryte>?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2004-08-06 02:28
    hi>.. How do I know abt the Car's electric Syatem? I cant find anything. I did do research but...i cant find anything on the net. Is it some other way of searching?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • KenMKenM Posts: 657
    edited 2004-08-06 02:59
    Please explain exactly what you want to do with the car. I am an "expert" with these matters (cars that is).

Also, is there one specific car you want to modify, or any car in general?

Ken
    edited 2004-08-06 05:28
    Hi. I want to sort of shut down the Car! I dont have any particular cars in mind. This is a BS2p microcontroller to receive an SMS from the Car Owner to shut the car down when there is an intrusion detected. So therefore upon receiving a SMS, The car needs to shud down. SO how can i do that using a BS2p.
    Im supposed to make a product which actually detects an intrusion and den receives the GPS data abt the car's location (in case it gets driven away from a theft) and with that data, send an SMS to the Owner. If the owner wants to shut his car down, den he'll reply an SMS and that SMS shud shut down the Car.
    Ill be using a BS2p, Max238CNG, Garmin GPS receiver, Wavecom Modem, siren and (that relay?)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2004-08-06 07:21
    In Gas driven cars(Not diesel) there's a large coil in a cylinder, about the size of a slim soda can. It usually have one thick wire going from the center of one end, which you don't want to mess with as it's VERY HIGH voltage, and a more normal looking lead.
    This other lead is the one you want to cut and place a relay in as it's the one that feeds the coil.
    A break in this will result in the sparkplugs not igniting the fuel and the engine grinds to a halt.
    Short breaks will quite realistically simulate an engine breakdown without alerting the thief to the fact that there's an anti-theft system in place.
    After a few seconds of this, it's time to shut it off completely.

This won't damage the engine, though it might get a bit difficult to start for a few minutes as the engine will be quite 'wet'.
  • tleeptleep Posts: 1
    edited 2004-08-06 11:08
    Hey,

All cars are a little different in the way they are electrically wired. Ford, Chevy, Volvo all do things their own way. The suggestion of removing the high voltage coil's signal path would work on older cars with one coil. My Chevy has 6 coils, one for each cylinder. Most newer cars are fuel injected. You could try putting a "Disable" relay in the fuel pump power wiring on a car like this. You will have to be careful not to completely disable the car. If the engine dies all at once, it may cause an accident due to the loss of steering and braking. I like the idea of causing a sputtering, slow but sure engine failure.

Good Luck BD
    edited 2004-08-06 12:40
    Oooo....

6 coils...
    A bank of relays disconnecting one or more of them randomly...

And yes, killing off something critical, is not good if the car is on a road with high speeds or in a difficult area with low visibility.

Of course, some cars fare better than others.
    If the engine on my Citr
  • Shawn LoweShawn Lowe Posts: 635
    edited 2004-08-07 20:31
    It should be said that randomly turning off and then on ignition spark to an engine could cause a misfire that could damage the engine(by causing the fuel to ignite at the wrong time in the cycling of the motor).
    If you turn the spark on and off for relativly long periods (.5 - 1 sec.) I don't think you would cause too much damage?

Shawn Lowe
  • KenMKenM Posts: 657
    edited 2004-08-07 21:11
    Not completely·true.......as far as misfire, absolutely yes.· As far as causing the fuel to ignite at the wrong time....only fire late, but not early because the decision to fire is based on the cars computer. This will not damage the engine (assuming in India the vehicles are computer controlled)

The biggest problem with temporary ignition cut is damage to the catalytic converter....again, if things such as catalysts are used in India.

Raw fuel to a catalyst WILL damage it, overheat it, melt down the substrate, then you are stuck with the "apple in the tailpipe" effect.
    Shawn Lowe said...
    It should be said that randomly turning off and then on ignition spark to an engine could cause a misfire that could damage the engine(by causing the fuel to ignite at the wrong time in the cycling of the motor).
    If you turn the spark on and off for relativly long periods (.5 - 1 sec.) I don't think you would cause too much damage?

Shawn Lowe