Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
gps signal handling — Parallax Forums

gps signal handling

daemian3002daemian3002 Posts: 2
edited 2004-07-29 18:07 in BASIC Stamp
Hi all,

I heard that oopic's gps module cannot be handled properly by an oopic(data rate and
volume is too great for it) but it can be handled better by a Parallax Stamp of the IIx or IIp variety.

Can anyone please confirm?

thanks

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-07-29 13:47
    You'd have to check with the folks at Savage Innovations regarding the OOPIC -- this forum is for Parallax products.

The BASIC Stamp can be used to capture and parse GPS data. When using the BS2p or BS2pe the GPS string can be buffered into the Scratchpad RAM for parsing after capture. When using other modules in the BS2 family members, serial modifiers like WAIT and SKIP are used to capture specific elements from the stream.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • daemian3002daemian3002 Posts: 2
    edited 2004-07-29 15:48
    Thank you very much for the answer.Although I am aware that this is a basic stamp forum i have to make a final question regarding both of the products.Is it possible for a microcontrollers as fast as BS2p or BS2pe to be connected with a slower one?
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2004-07-29 17:17
    I'm pretty sure you'll get an answer of YES from the bigwigs here!

Despite the fact that each revision of stamp is faster (or different) in processing speed....they can be made to communicate at the same speeds.

Serin/Serout is the most common communication method....it's only a matter of matching baud rates.

The baudrate # will be different on each stamp.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Steve
    http://members.rogers.com/steve.brady
    http://www.geocities.com/paulsopenstage

"Inside each and every one of us is our one, true authentic swing. Something we was born with. Something that's ours and ours alone. Something that can't be learned... something that's got to be remembered."

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-07-29 18:07
    Keep in mind that "standard" GPS strings are transmitted at a farily tame rate of 4800 baud. The only module I've ever worked with is the Garmin eTrex (they're cheap and easy to find) and it has its own text output that uses a fixed format, and the baud rate can be adjusted down to 2400 baud. By using the Garmin text mode at 2400 baud, one can reliably use a BS2 to capture data from the stream. I haven't tried it, but I'd bet I could even use a BS1 to capture just a few items.

As Steve indicated, processor speed is not the issue -- it's the baud rate used between the two devices. For example, my 2.2 gig P4 computer happily communicates with my BS2 all day long; at the agreed-upon baud rate of 9600 (programming rate -- I can change the baud for communications to anything the BS2 will support).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office