Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2 and a neural net... — Parallax Forums

BS2 and a neural net...

Jack FrostJack Frost Posts: 5
edited 2005-07-27 21:44 in BASIC Stamp
just wanted to know - has anyone tried yet to have a bs2 (or any of the other basic stamps) drive a neural net? i was thinking of using a bs2p with a cmucam to do some image processing and ai, and was wondering if the stamp is fast enough to handle all the calculations at a decent pace.

Comments

• YojimboYojimbo Posts: 40
    edited 2005-07-24 02:14
    I am currently tring the same thing, but I decided to go with a javelin stamp, as I am new to neural nets, I figured java would be a good place to start as it's power and farmiliarity. I'd like to hear of your progress though, it's dificult to wade through all this info [noparse];)[/noparse]
  • Donald BartleyDonald Bartley Posts: 19
    edited 2005-07-25 23:57
    I set up a neural net using a BS2 quite awhile back (5 years ago or so).· The experiment was a success but it was very slow with all the math that had to be done.· I also had to connect it to a 32K byte SRAM to store all the dendrite, axon, synapsis nodes, sysnapsis weight, routing information, etc.· There was alot of back of forth between the BS2 and the SRAM reading all the values being read, doing the calaculations (floating point routines as well, no co-processor), and re-writing the information for a final axon value.· It was a fun project but assembly language in a microcontroller was the way to go after watching the speed.· About 5-10 seconds just to calculate a simple single neuron with a single synapsis change.· Not quite the speed we operate at but one step closer tongue.gif
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-07-27 14:19
    That's pretty neat, Donald. Perhaps with the release of our SX/B compiler the SX chip would be a way to implement your BASIC neural net. Using the SX52 you'd have plentyof IO lines for the SRAM.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
  • Donald BartleyDonald Bartley Posts: 19
    edited 2005-07-27 21:13
    Jon,

Funny you say that...· The SX52 was the microcontroller choosen as the replacement.· But this was in a different life, back when they were Scenix and perhaps even before Parallax was invloved with the product line (or just getting on board).· The original concept would support some 2.7 trillion+ neurons, but since each neuron contained its own micro the idea was scraped due to costs.· Still fun to play with on small scales though, I may have to take it up again at some point.

Good point on the SX/B compiler.· I know that wasn't around back then, but I do enjoy assembly language so! tongue.gif
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2005-07-27 21:44
    Well, you're in luck then because SX/B allows you to mix assembly into the BASIC!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax