Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
My Advanced Realistic Humanoid Robots Project — Parallax Forums

My Advanced Realistic Humanoid Robots Project

artbyrobotartbyrobot Posts: 6
edited 2024-10-18 02:01 in Robotics

I am building 4 robots presently and using some different techniques for each of them to find out what works best. So far I have Adam, Eve, Abel, and Dinah robots underway. For the framework, Adam is using a fiberglass handmade skeleton which is half done, Abel is using a PVC medical skeleton, Eve is only a CAD model so far, and Dinah is using a hollow steel tubing skeleton.

Lately the Dinah robot has been commanding most of my attention. It is one I only recently started up and progress has been fast so far. I started it around the same time TheRobotStudio started his Hope-Lite open source robot and I'm trying to keep up with his pacing for this one. I'm also hoping to implement some of his design strategies into my own. He's a lot more experienced and trained in robotics than me. I'm just a beginner with big ambitions.

I want my robots to look realistic and move realistic. I want them to walk, talk, run, do chores, manufacture products, and make more robots.

Here's the CAD for the Dinah robot:

The highlighted skeleton is the steel tubing skeleton Dinah will be based on. The gray unhighlighted skeleton is a human style skeleton being used just to ensure all of the steel skeleton hinges are placed accurately. The 3d model in the background is the CAD basemesh of Dinah.

Comments

• "I want my robots to look realistic and move realistic. I want them to walk, talk, run, do chores, manufacture products, and make more robots."

When God did this project first-time, he had one advantage: He knew that he would not die beforehand.
    On the other hand, you have got the advantage, that he already proved feasibility.....
    ;-)

• RossHRossH Posts: 5,449

I'll drop by in 6 days to check on progress :)

• artbyrobotartbyrobot Posts: 6
    edited 2024-10-24 15:09

I managed to get Dinah's hand bones printed out in ABS on my Anet A8 3d printer the past couple days. I also cleaned up the prints, removed the supports, and sanded down high points. They are ready for attaching them together with cloth tape which will act as artificial ligaments.

You'll note I fused the ulna and radius bones together to use as a rotational joint for the wrist to function like a human wrist. The actual pronation and supination of the forearm though will happen by way of the steel skeleton having a rotating pivot point unlike the human body where the radius rotates and twists over the ulna in a criss cross.

Note: in this photo the middle finger is missing the distal tip which I was reprinting as the time of this photo.

edited 2024-10-24 15:10

In my initial thoughts, the wrist I thought should rotate axially around where the wrist is located. This photo is my progress on that front:

However, I realized this will not look right since you can visibly see the forearms move and the muscles there moving when you pronate and supinate your arm. So I have to have the pronation and supination be where the skeleton was originally doing this near the elbow. This will allow for much more natural looking pronation and supination. So the wrist location will not rotate AT ALL after all. This made it all the easier to make the ulna and radius distal wrist joint where the little wrist bones and hand will attach to and rotate on. I sculpted it all in fiberglass and super glue with some nails and some ABS plastic pieces and epoxy to build up the shape. I used my ABS 3d print of this part as reference only. This thing needed to be very strong as it's likely going to the point of failure as the rest of the arm is steel. So I wanted to make sure it was maximally solid and didn't fully trust just going with a 3d print there.

• MicksterMickster Posts: 2,686

I see a little bit of weld spatter. Clean that up and....Perfect :+1:

• SavageCircuitsSavageCircuits Posts: 250
    edited 2024-10-22 11:43

Am I the only one who can't see the images in post #4 and #5?

@SavageCircuits said:
    Am I the only one who can't see the images in post #4 and #5?

Switch-off your obscene-content filter :D

• @Mickster said:

Oh my... :#

edited 2024-10-24 15:11

I'm currently working to sew all the finger and wrist bones together for the Dinah robot and mount them to the arm. I wanted to show how I'm doing this process.

Here I tape the bone with adhesive transfer tape 3M 300 LSE. Note that I leave space on either end of the bone to allow some free fabric which is necessary to allow for elasticity as the bones need to rotate after all. Have to have enough free fabric to stretch as the joint rotates, allowing the rotation. But not so much free fabric that the joint is loose either. Has to be just right and snug.

Next I wrap the compression workout shirt fabric onto the tape and cut it to size. Here is just a rough wrap that hasn't been cut down to size yet.

Then here is a bone finished on the sewing and ready to attach to a neighboring bone. The sewing is done with nylon upholstery thread and a curved suturing needle and a surgical pliers using a suturing technique.

• @Mickster said:

I just realized that the site the images are hosted from is blocked by our company firewall. I right-clicked on an image (broken link) and selected, "open image in new window", only to be greeted with, "SITE BLOCKED!" :/

The category is listed as "sexually explicit material". Guess I'll have to check from home.

@SavageCircuits said:

The category is listed as "sexually explicit material". Guess I'll have to check from home.

Hmmm, I wouldn't go that far. However...

With all the AI generated stuff today, one can easily be fooled but on close inspection, it becomes clear that this is not a real human wrist...It's a "realistic humanoid wrist"

Craig